Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have the 2nd gen Apple TV and have been noticing many ppl on Craigslist charging a pretty penny to jailbreak them. I've jail broken iPods and iPhone and iPads before so am one to think it would be that tough.

Further, I see that you can stream HD channels and cable channels too, though I hear conflicting reports as to the quality and reliability.

Can anyone point me in the best direction? I'm on winter break from classes and am considering doing this to my set up in my room... Which would mean no longer connecting my iPad to the monitor and the constant need of having to check the iPad's battery.

:D

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
Do it and sell it

It is very easy and you can easily find directions here.

After having done it, I was not all that impressed with the result. It is absolutely true that you can add hundreds of channels. The vast majority are on-demand and the interface is not that great imho. I am speaking about XBMC and NAVI-X. So lets say you are looking at the Travel Channel, you have a text list of shows available, which could be hundreds, and you select the one you want then watch it. So you are about 6 levels deep in the menu before watching a show.Not very convenient.

After having it for about a year I found that I was not using the JB content hardly at all. So I sold my ATV2 for $210 on ebay, very easy! And now I have a brand new ATV3, non-JB. So I ended up with a "free" ATV3 and $100 profit.

So If you have a non-JB ATV2, I recommend you JB it and sell it.

My 2c.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.