How easy to exchange 8GB for 16GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chodite, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

I've had my 8 GB iPhone 3G for a week now and while I love it, I'm down to 1 GB remaining on it. How cool is the Apple Store when it comes to exchanging? Also, seamless process or P.I.T.A?

2. shinenjk macrumors regular

Was a huge PITA ass for me. Had to activate two accounts (one with 8G, one with 16G), call AT&T and talk on the phone for 2 hrs to get it solved. The problem begins when the system recognizes you as having used the subsidized price to purchase the 8G, and won't let you purchase the 16G @ the subsidized price. Read all about my experience here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=532747

But I gotta tell you, I freaking love my 16G way more than my 8G although I had my 8G for 3 days lol.

3. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

I had the exact same question...here's the thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=533869

I'm just not sure whether I should go to an Apple store or ATT to do this? I bought at an Apple store, but I don't know how much access they have to ATT's system

4. allurbase macrumors member

I recently exchanged my 8GB for a 16GB and it went very smoothly, my experience is posted in the thread shinenjk posted a link to.

I think where it can become a PITA is if you purchased your original phone by opening a brand new account and not upgrading on a previously existing one, which I assume was the case for shinenjk (sorry if i'm completely wrong).

5. eciytnim macrumors member

I went to get a new iphone today because my old one was messed up. I bought my original at an at&t store. When i asked if it was possible for them to give me a 16 instead of an 8 they said they couldn't do it. They said I'd have to go to at&t to get it since I bought it there. I did get a new 8 gig though and it is flawless so far. My old one had light leaks on both sides of the screen and this one has none. However, it did come with a little dent on the apple logo, but I don't really mind. I may try to get a 16 gig white one though.

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I hope you're not trying to use your experience as an example for exchange...

7. shinenjk macrumors regular

Yep I opened a brand new account because I was with T-mobile previously. Others have reported a similar experience:

http://consumerist.com/tag/returns-...efective-iphone-3g-is-a-huge-pain-in-the-butt

Although she was returning her defective iPhone to exchange for a new one, the problem was the same - the system thinks you've used up your subsidized price to purchase your first one, so it won't let you pay the subsidized price on your second one (one you want to exchange for). My "brilliant" work around to beat this system was to create another new account & purchase the 16G as a "new customer" @ the subsidized price which left me with 2 accounts open (even though I returned the 8G). Then I had to call AT&T, explain the situation, and cancel the other account - this was the major PITA part. The AT&T manager I spoke with first called the Apple Store to confirm that I had returned my 8G iPhone (she wanted me to fax a return receipt but Apple didn't give me one because they put the money back onto the gift card which was subsequently used to buy the 16G), then she manually entered the new 16G iPhone information over the 8G, then put in the new SIM card info & it was all good.

And yes, I went back to the Apple Store where I originally purchased it and I suggest you do the same (go back to where you bought it).