How easy to go back to Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Check 6, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Check 6 macrumors regular

My iMac came with the Leopard upgrade disk and like most (and at the recommendation of the Apple Geeks) upgraded. My Macbook pro remains on Tiger and I would like very much to go back to that operating system on the iMac. I find Leopard to be slower and frequently I encounter the colored pinwheel and the system is frozen. Only unplugging it will turn it off. Leopard reminds me of Windows XP which I moved to Apple from.

And thus the question, can you uninstall Leopard and revert to Tiger without losing files etc or is a re-format and clean install of Tiger the only way. I plan to ask this question to the Geeks at the local Apple store this week but looking for any and all comments. Thanks

2. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

You'd need to wipe and re-install, or perhaps an Archive and Install. Personally, I'd just back up my files to an external hard drive or burn them to a CD or DVD and then do a fresh installation.

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Or, just wait for the update that is coming any day now. There's a chance it will fix the problems.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Save your data, erase and install, enjoy the upgrade to Tiger.

5. slappies macrumors newbie

fresh install? that easy?

i was wondering if anyone can help me with this.

i guess my problems are a little worse than just not liking leopard.

it has slowly gone downhill in performance, and now i cannot boot into my mac partition at all. it takes a few minutes on the spinning wheel grey screen. then reboots and repeats. the bootcamped windows works ok, getting a little slow now as windows always does after a few months and i would like to format/erase both partitions and start from scratch.

only problem is i left my leopard discs interstate while visiting friends, and now only have access to my tiger discs. which is fine, but when i try and boot with them holding down C, it thinks for a minute. then spits the disc back out. i am beyond caring about backing up as i havent had access to my mac partition for over a month and just want to get it erased.

what can i do to get the system to boot from the cd.

6. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

what if you hold down the ALT key whilst booting or rebooting your Mac? It should give you a list of partitions and also bootable devices present in the system. If you select the disc with Tiger and boot it that way?

Don't hold down any keys on the keyboard after you have selected the disc and choose to boot from it.

I have no idea if this works one bit. Just maybe. :)

7. slappies macrumors newbie

thanks for replying so fast.

i use the alt key regularly to switch between mac and windows (well less regularly now as osx isnt working), when i put the cd in and hold alt it still spits it back out, and then brings up my usual 2 drives.

8. slappies macrumors newbie

well it turned out my superdrive was faulty, along with a lot of other hardware in my laptop :S

yay for the motto "it just works".