How Effective are Reflectors?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ppc_michael, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

In Lighting 101 one of the first things they cover is three-point lighting. Then they go a bit farther and introduce a reflector to take the place of a fill light, bouncing light from the key to fill in dark areas.

I've just never found that to be effective. It seems like you almost have to get the reflector so close to the subject that it's in the shot to see any difference. But whenever I see behind the scenes shots of other productions, I can usually find a reflector or two in there.

Do any of you use reflectors? What do you use and how do you use it? I've tried everything from FlexFills to Foamcore.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

When I used to shoot I used a flexfills and bounce boards. The flexfill I used when I shot interviews outside to help keep people from getting "raccoon eyes" and I used bounce boards when I had more controlled lighting situations. Sometimes you just need a light more "umph" and bounce boards can provide that w/a nice, soft touch. Whether or not it's the appropriate tool for the job though depends on the situation.

Lethal

3. -DH macrumors 65816

They can be very effective when used properly. What defines "properly?" That depends on the specific situation - hard to explain without seeing the set and lighting.

-DH