How else can the pencil be charged?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bhodinut, Nov 2, 2018.

1. bhodinut macrumors member

bhodinut

Finally there's a way to charge the pencil without carrying around that adapter. However, if I choose a case that covers the edge of the iPad will the pencil still charge through a thicker case? Will it charge on a QI charger? I hadn't considered that until I was looking at potential more rugged cases.

2. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I think the side is the only way to charge it. I haven't heard otherwise.

3. satchow macrumors 6502

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

There isn’t a charging port

So it’s the only way

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I'm sure case makers will have to leave that part uncovered or make it so the pencil still sticks and charges through it.

6. yeahtyeaht macrumors 6502

yeahtyeaht

7. vbedia macrumors regular

Have you seen any? I mean case with that part uncovered for the pencil

8. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

This may be a case where we need to wait for people to get their pencils in to test out. I would guess the wireless charging from a Qi pad would work, but there is no way to tell until Wednesday

9. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I haven't yet but I suspect they will be flooding the market very soon.... I didnt see any rumors giving specifics on the charging method, just that it would be different.... I suspect case makers were caught off-guard on this one and are scrambling..... With the exception of a select few which apple works with of course.

10. Nanotyrns macrumors 65816

Nanotyrns

I mean, honestly, what else is the 11" for anyway?

11. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

This full case has a small cutout, but I have little confidence you could charge the pencil whilst using it. When used nude the pencil is completely flush to the side of the case, and any side wall will interfere with that, in my opinion.

ETA: reading the description a bit more, they make clear that the pencil is not compatible with this case.

12. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

13. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

I was thinking that I might just have to get a slide in case this time so I can charge the pencil. That might not be ideal for me. There are some folio type cases out there that hold the iPad with elastic or other corners which leaves the sides exposed. I think I'll wait a bit to see what they come up with before spending any significant money on a case.

14. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

If only!
    product-image-418758573_1024x1024.jpg

15. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

Many case makers made cases that wouldn’t work with the first gen Apple Keyboard. This could possibly be the case with some of the new cases. Some may not work with charging the pencil just like they won’t work with the new keyboard. We may have to pick cases based on our useage needs.