Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Now I'm behind on this as I had a 4 on iOS 6 until recently. On that phone I could save m4r files and copy them to the tones folder on iTunes (when the 4 was connected) - that method doesn't work for me on the 6S.

Is there any way to have custom ringtones on a 6S, with or without iTunes? I looked for ages on google and found ancient articles, nothing recent. I want to have small, ready made files, which I created especially for this, not whole mp3 tracks.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You can still use m4r's. I don't recall copying them to a folder. I just added them to iTunes and synced.

Genkakuzai

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
It's been a bitch as of late for me for some reason, so I just ended up using Waltr.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
You can still use m4r's. I don't recall copying them to a folder. I just added them to iTunes and synced.

Didn't work for me, the files didn't sync and only appeared greyed out, I could do nothing with them.

I may have made a mistake, what are the exact steps you take?

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Didn't work for me, the files didn't sync and only appeared greyed out, I could do nothing with them.

I use audiko.net. I download the .m4r straight from them. I drag it into iTunes in the "Tones" section. Once there, I play it to make sure it sounds good.

Once that's complete, I connect my iPhone to iTunes, go to the sync section for "Tones", select all tones, and hit sync. Bam everything done.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
That worked for me, thanks a lot. :D

If anybody has a way to do this without the need for iTunes, please don't hesitate to share.

Reactions: melman101

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009

I think there is a 30s limit for ringtones. I don't know if it will work if the file is longer than 30s.

You can create your own ringtones using iTunes though.

Quick Version:
1. Select the portion of the song you want via Get Info on the song. (30s limit I believe).
2. Create/Save song from the menu bar. Should create AAC version.
3. Copy it to the Desktop (or anywhere you choose).
4. Rename extension to .m4r
5. Import back in to iTunes.
6. You should be able to sync it as a ringtone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iTunes makes it easy. Import the audio file. Right click on it and make it AAC. Go to the file location and change the extension to .m4r, add back to the tones pane.

I just did about 15 (they were all MP3s) of these last night that way to my 6s+.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
That worked for me, thanks a lot. :D

If anybody has a way to do this without the need for iTunes, please don't hesitate to share.

I think you need iTunes to sync the ringtones sadly :-(. No other way unless your jail broken.

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
I use audiko.net. I download the .m4r straight from them. I drag it into iTunes in the "Tones" section. Once there, I play it to make sure it sounds good.

Once that's complete, I connect my iPhone to iTunes, go to the sync section for "Tones", select all tones, and hit sync. Bam everything done.

I do this as well. Works great!

Genkakuzai

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
I think there is a 30s limit for ringtones. I don't know if it will work if the file is longer than 30s.

You can create your own ringtones using iTunes though.

Quick Version:
1. Select the portion of the song you want via Get Info on the song. (30s limit I believe).
2. Create/Save song from the menu bar. Should create AAC version.
3. Copy it to the Desktop (or anywhere you choose).
4. Rename extension to .m4r
5. Import back in to iTunes.
6. You should be able to sync it as a ringtone.
40s actually.

I think you need iTunes to sync the ringtones sadly :-(. No other way unless your jail broken.
If you read my post you would've seen there's certainly another way, Waltr.
http://softorino.com/waltr

Reactions: AlliFlowers

rapidgaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
No need to use iTunes if you do it with garage band. App should be free on iPhone 6/6s and no need for jb

Genkakuzai

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
Gotcha. Cool. I'll stick with iTunes myself.
I used to as well, until it mysteriously stopped working when I tried it with my 6S Plus. I've really never had any issues at all before, and I used the same method I always did. At least there's an option when all else fails :)

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Thanks for the other replies. I looked up that waltr software and it probs does the job but it's trial software on windows, just making people aware of that. It costs money for the full version.

One more bit of windows software I use is iRinger (not sure about the latest, but version 4.2.0.0 is free) to create .m4r files from music etc, that works well, and alongside the iTunes tones folder method, works well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.