How exactly do I add custom ringtones to a 6S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iDanny26, Nov 4, 2015.

1. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

Now I'm behind on this as I had a 4 on iOS 6 until recently. On that phone I could save m4r files and copy them to the tones folder on iTunes (when the 4 was connected) - that method doesn't work for me on the 6S.

Is there any way to have custom ringtones on a 6S, with or without iTunes? I looked for ages on google and found ancient articles, nothing recent. I want to have small, ready made files, which I created especially for this, not whole mp3 tracks.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You can still use m4r's. I don't recall copying them to a folder. I just added them to iTunes and synced.

3. Genkakuzai macrumors regular

It's been a bitch as of late for me for some reason, so I just ended up using Waltr.

4. iDanny26 thread starter macrumors regular

iDanny26

Didn't work for me, the files didn't sync and only appeared greyed out, I could do nothing with them.

I may have made a mistake, what are the exact steps you take?

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

I use audiko.net. I download the .m4r straight from them. I drag it into iTunes in the "Tones" section. Once there, I play it to make sure it sounds good.

Once that's complete, I connect my iPhone to iTunes, go to the sync section for "Tones", select all tones, and hit sync. Bam everything done.

6. iDanny26 thread starter macrumors regular

iDanny26

That worked for me, thanks a lot. :D

If anybody has a way to do this without the need for iTunes, please don't hesitate to share.

7. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I think there is a 30s limit for ringtones. I don't know if it will work if the file is longer than 30s.

You can create your own ringtones using iTunes though.

Quick Version:
    1. Select the portion of the song you want via Get Info on the song. (30s limit I believe).
    2. Create/Save song from the menu bar. Should create AAC version.
    3. Copy it to the Desktop (or anywhere you choose).
    4. Rename extension to .m4r
    5. Import back in to iTunes.
    6. You should be able to sync it as a ringtone.

8. rapidgaz macrumors newbie

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

iTunes makes it easy. Import the audio file. Right click on it and make it AAC. Go to the file location and change the extension to .m4r, add back to the tones pane.

I just did about 15 (they were all MP3s) of these last night that way to my 6s+.

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

I think you need iTunes to sync the ringtones sadly :-(. No other way unless your jail broken.

11. jldesutter83 macrumors regular

jldesutter83

I do this as well. Works great!

12. Genkakuzai macrumors regular

40s actually.

If you read my post you would've seen there's certainly another way, Waltr.
    http://softorino.com/waltr

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

Gotcha. Cool. I'll stick with iTunes myself.

14. rapidgaz macrumors newbie

No need to use iTunes if you do it with garage band. App should be free on iPhone 6/6s and no need for jb

15. Genkakuzai macrumors regular

I used to as well, until it mysteriously stopped working when I tried it with my 6S Plus. I've really never had any issues at all before, and I used the same method I always did. At least there's an option when all else fails :)

16. jpadhiyar macrumors regular

17. iDanny26 thread starter macrumors regular

iDanny26

Thanks for the other replies. I looked up that waltr software and it probs does the job but it's trial software on windows, just making people aware of that. It costs money for the full version.

One more bit of windows software I use is iRinger (not sure about the latest, but version 4.2.0.0 is free) to create .m4r files from music etc, that works well, and alongside the iTunes tones folder method, works well.