How exactly do you pre-order via AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, Sep 14, 2011.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

The iPhone 5 will be my first iPhone and I want to know how the pre-ordering process works for new AT&T customers. I'm sure many of you have done it before. I want to port my number to AT&T so how would that process work with the pre-order? Would this be done online or at the store? Thanks

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Why don't you call the store you live by and ask them. They should be able to sign you up for service and preorder the phone for you. Then your service would start when you go in and pick the phone up.

3. wvphysics macrumors regular

There will be a link on the website with instructions, but not until after they even announce the iphone 5. However, I would suggest pre-ordering with Apple, they have tended to be more reliable, and in many cases if you order early enough you get the phone a day or two before the official launch.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Also I'm just remembering that on ATT last year preordering was only for current customers. So you might have to just preorder through Apple.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It can be done either online or at an AT&T store.
    But wait till the phone is announced first and then we will have details on if and when preorders are available etc...

6. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

Im in the UK - Same predicament

I want to join Vodafone - and port my existing number - however iPhone pre orders will be existing customers only.

Sooooo -

I have signed up to a 30 day rolling SIM only deal at £8 a month ..

Number can be ported immediately and then when its release bang! Im on the phone at 8AM when Vodafone opens and i can pre order! :)

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The OP's profile indicates a US based customer.

As inidicated above we don't have the specifics for this year but last year, you were able to pre-order via Apple or AT&T online in the US.

As you complete the web order form, you had the option to indicate if you wanted to port an existing phone number. You will need your current carrier account number and any PIN information to enter during the order process.

Note: Before porting are you sure that you have good AT&T coverage? You can always pre-order, get a new AT&T number and then call and port your number after a couple of days of testing.

When the iPhone 4 arrrived you just followed the instructions to complete the process. The actual porting process sometimes takes more than 24 hours due to the volume of new customers but customers were able to make calls on iPhone as soon as the activation steps completed.

Note: Once the port of your phone number completes, your old account will be closed so make sure you understand any fees or final charges that you need to pay to your current carrier.

Dave

8. TC25 macrumors 68020

No offense, but this question is basically pointless.

1.) There's no guarantee there will be pre-orders.

2.) Even if there are, there's no guarantee the way pre-orders were handled in the past will be how they will be handled for the iPhone5.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sorry but you are remembering incorrectly. Last year AT&T allowed web preorders and even in-store direct fulfillment pre-orders for new and existing customers.

The major challenge with preorders last year in the US was the load on both the Apple site and the AT&T site. Long delays and there were many reports right here about customers spending all day trying to complete the order process.

Some customers ended up with duplicate orders since they ended up ordering on Apple and AT&T and this caused some customers to have both orders cancelled.:mad:

Dave

10. FmaxTurboSi macrumors regular

I believe existing customers were able to preorder a couple days earlier than non existing customers. I could be wrong tho lol

11. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You might be recalling the situation that was for the Verizon release this past Feb.

Existing Verizon customers were able to preorders begining Feb. 3 at 3 a.m. Eastern, midnight Pacific.

On Wednesday, Feb., 9, all qualified customers were then able to order an iPhone 4 on Verizon through the Apple online store for delivery, or reserve for in-store pick-up beginning Feb. 10.

Dave

12. jekyoo macrumors 6502

I switched to AT&T to get the iPhone 4. I couldn't pre-order like everyone else. Only current customers were able to pre-order the device.

What I ended up doing was adding a line and ported my number before the release BUT I didn't use my upgrade. I just used my previous phone on AT&T since I wanted to save it for the iPhone 4. Once you become a customer, you can upgrade since you haven't used your upgrade yet.