Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RU551ANB3A5T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Ok so I was doing a lot of researching and was very curious about the project of porting linux to iDevices, aka iphonelinux and the openiboot project. Now here is what I'm wondering: how exactly does the port of linux work? Does it completely remove the Unix kernel and puts a linux one in place? Or is the original kernel of the iDevice kept and then linux is just ported to boot off of the kernel so in some way it's like an emulation? I am just really wanting things cleared up for me, i may sound like a noob, but please no haters :) thank you! :D

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Android or the replacement OS lives within a disk image in the larger Media partition. iOS is still there and cannot be completely wiped out. OpeniBoot works by chainloading from the LLB to the Linux kernel within the disk image. Part of the reason why OpeniBoot was never successfully ported to non-A1 devices is that a bootrom exploit doesn't exist low enough to get it loaded before the bootrom checks start.

RU551ANB3A5T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Thank you, so the LLB is tricked because it was exploited to boot the linux kernel instead of the Darwin Unix kernel, then it boots the android OS. Right?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
It doesn't matter unless you want to buy a 6 year old iPhone that can more or less run android

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.