How exactly does the personal hotspot work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, May 13, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I don't really understand it works

does it mean when you are away from home that you can use your wifi connection no matter where you are? When I use my phone at work it picks up no 3G coverage so the internet is slow..does the personal hotspot mean I can get a wifi connection using mine from home? how do you connect exactly on it?

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

No, it means you can broadcast a wifi signal from your phone using your mobile carrier data as the internet feed. So whatever data speed (3G, Edge, etc) you are getting on your phone at the time will be the speed of the internet connection over the wifi your phone creates. It has nothing to do with your wifi at home.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Ah i see, so when I'm at work in theory the internet speed should be faster with the hotspot on?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're not even close to understanding what this feature is or does.

5. iStudentUK, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No. The iPhone takes the mobile network signal, and magically beams it out as wifi. The speed will be that of the mobile network. Personal hotspot is tethering without wires.

Say you have an iPhone and an iPad (just wifi, not 3G). Turn hotspot on in the iPhone when you have phone signal and it beams out a wifi signal. In the iPad you find the right network name and connect to it and so use the internet, via your iPhone.

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Nevermind I get it now, I clearly didn't read Stampyhead's post right.

thanks for explaining.

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

So let me get this straight before I make any assumptions about anything... you thought you could majestically send your high speed wifi signal to your phone any where you went? How is that logical? That's like "Oh I really need to poop but I'm in the middle of no where....I KNOW! Ill use my personal poop spot! That way a toilet can magically appear next to me!" Not trying to be an ass I'm seriously curious if you thought that was logically possible or if you just needed to fill in your post with a random/dumb example so we explain it better.

8. mltaylor macrumors regular

How much extra a month is the personal poop spot? Will I have to ditch my unlimited plan?

9. Icyplains macrumors newbie

The tethering plan is $45 per month which includes 4 Gigs. You will have to give up your unlimited plan :(

10. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Quit being such an ass.