How exactly would I achieve this action effect?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by snowboarder943, Jun 18, 2010.

1. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

I'm sure the usage of a tripod and photoshop but could one explain it more in-depth? Thank you very much! :D

Attached Files:

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Though I've never tried to do this effect, here's how I would go about it.

First, tripod of course (though not completely necessary) + a camera that shoots 3-7 fps. At that point I would create layer masks around every action image so that I could get rid of the background around the images I didn't want to show. It's a fairly simple process.

I've heard of being using photo merge for that kind of thing, but I would fear that to be to sloppy.

Hope that helps.

btw, looks like they HDR'd the final layers as well. If the HDR'd each fram before hand it would be a mess in photomerge.

3. ZenAmateur macrumors newbie

Timed exposure and Photoshop

You are correct, the way this works is to place the camera on a tripod and either set the drive mode to continuous (hold down the shutter button and the camera keeps taking photos) or just manually shoot the photos, although the previous method is better.

Once you have your individual images, you can just open the series in Photoshop and use any number of methods to select the object. The best way would be to use Quick Mask and a feathered brush to quickly select the skater and a bit of the background, as all of the exposures will be the same, blending the image will be a snap. Line them up and you have a stop-motion image showing the various positions through time.

4. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thanks guys! Unfortunately, my rebel xs is only 3.5 frames per second I believe. It'd still turn out pretty decent though, it's not like it's a car hahh Doesn't seem too hard though. First step for me: Get a tripod hahh I still don't have one :p

5. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I am actually planning on a shooting these types of images with a parcour person in a couple of weeks. I did some tests with a friend of mine and the easiest way to get the images is to tripod mount and fire a continuous burst (i figured after several trials that about 5fps is the best so far for parcour) BUT make sure your focus is set to infinity and you have a wide enough field of view to have a person go from one side to the other in say 2-4 seconds while doing something.

good hunting..

6. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Not sure if infinity focus is necessary but definitely switch to manual focus mode and prefocus on the right area so that the subject will be in focus the whole time- don't want to have the AF hunting and changing focus between shots.

7. kenned macrumors member

I made this handheld, so a tripod isn't absolutely crucial. :)

[​IMG]

Click to see it on my flickr where you can find a bigger version aswell.

8. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

ahh nice picture! It's neat to see that no tripod was used. Thanks for the pic :D