How expensive is Apple repair on a 15 inch macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bankaimadness, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

For all the people that didn't get applecare how expensive would it be to take your macbook pro to Apple for repairs?

Any experiences stories?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

all repairs vary ... depends on the repair and the circumstances

go see the Genius Bar for a quote :cool:

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It depends on circumstances. The idiot's genius's at Apple quotes me over $1000 to fix a fan (due to a small dent in my case, which led them to want to replace my HDD and CD drive as well). $50 later I swapped my bottom case, and Applecare took it upon themselves to replace my CD drive, fan, screen, and power button, for free. Interestingly enough, once there wasn't a dent on my case, their tests stopped detecting my HDD as ready to fail.

In short: Apple over charges for repairs. I could replace a fan for $6, or have Apple charge me $1000.

In general though, Apple's markup for repairing stuff is outrageous. I think they charge somewhere around $200 to replace a hard drive out of warranty, but if you do it yourself it's more like $50. So you feel like Applecare pays for itself after a single repair... but if you can get the parts off of ebay and do it yourself, it's only really worth it if your screen or motherboard go.

5. pedrofan macrumors 6502

6. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

holy **** what their reasoning for this? 0.0

Won't people just use the money to buy a new mac?

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

If you ask they seem to quote "labour", at least for me and because they can - enough people dont have the knowledge to do the fixes themselves so apple can charge extortionate rates for stuff (and they like sealing laptops and iDevices with custom screws to make it more of a challenge to do it yourself).

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Many do. Some of the stuff shouldn't cost $1000, even with labor (like a fan replacement) but people see the $1000 repair cost for something like the logic board and get miffed, not realizing that the cpu and gpu are intergrated and not seperate modules.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I am not sure why the above poster is saying $1000 for a Fan replacement?

He is just plain wrong on his #s