How far are you from your iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SimonBS, May 14, 2011.

1. SimonBS macrumors regular

SimonBS

Hello,

I am THIS CLOSE to buy a 27" iMac but I have a concern: is my desktop too narrow?

I have the IKEA Bestå Burs desk and it is only 41 cm deep. My question is, how far away from the screen are you?

2. Bartos88 macrumors member

I'm currently about 50cm away from my screen, but thats a 20inch monitor. When I get my 27" imac I think I'm gonna have to slide a back a bit more.

3. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Okay. So, 50 cm is about the same as I am away from my 13" Macbook Pro at the moment (the desktop width + the space between the desktop and me)

If you are fine with 50 cm from a 20" monitor, we should be fine by leaning back a bit when the it's a 27" monitor :)

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I sit about 40cm away from my 27" iMac. Was a bit strange to start with, but after awhile you get used to the size.

Just don't have the brightness on full, you can feel yourself getting a tan.

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

About 2-2.5ft / 60 to 70cm. I don't like to be too close, plus as previous poster, i keep the brightness down a little otherwise my eyes get funny after a day of work.

6. boogei macrumors member

7. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Got the 27" and I sit a foot and a half back I think. Gotta keep the brightness down too. The bright white is almost painful after prolonged periods. I'm used to being close though, have a 46" LCD that I sit 4 feet from to play COD

8. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I'm 24" from both my monitors. (60 cm for you metric loving fools)

9. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

You do know that in most parts of Europe no one uses inches but only meters?

10. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

It sounds like the average MacRumors user is about 50 - 60 cm. away from their iMac. I actually thought you would be longer away from it, so I am glad to hear that is not the case :)

Also, great point with the brightness. I guess you could get a serious headache with the brightness all up.

Now, I'ld just look forward to get my new iMac :rolleyes:

11. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

12. StevenPaulJobs macrumors newbie

I'm about 30-40cm away from my 27" iMac when I'm slouching

When I'm sitting straight I'm prob about 50-60cm away

13. 2ndname macrumors member

The Besta Burs is way too narrow for your viewing to be comfortable IMO. We actually were thinking about getting that desk but went against it last minute due to the size.

14. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Stayed over at the gf's so I'm currently about 5 miles away!

But I have it quiet close when I'm at home on my desk, about 60cm! yeah the 27" is big but totally worth it!