How far away do you sit from your iMac when working ......

Discussion in 'iMac' started by driftless, Jan 9, 2012.

1. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I was wondering how far folks sat away from their iMac when working. Not playing games, surfing, or watching videos, but working on code or programs like Photoshop, MS Office (or iWork), Dreamweaver, etc. Since some folks slouch, sit upright, etc., I think the end of the nose to the screen is a good measure. It would also be interesting to hear if folks or using the 21.5" or 27" (or 24") screens. Lastly, glasses are another issue - none, single, bifocals, special computer glasses, etc.

- D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since this varies with screen size and resolution, as well as the vision of each user, how is this helpful to know? You can't draw any conclusions from it, since eyesight, configuration and preferences vary so widely.

3. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

It may not be, but I thought that I would ask the question anyhow.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have a 27" iMac and it is currently 22" from my face. I also have a 24" iMac at a different location, but I figure it's about the same distance away.

5. ball4lyfe macrumors newbie

My desk is only 50cm deep and I certainly wish I had rather bought something at least 65cm deep. BTW, I have a 27" iMac.

6. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

I sit about 22" away from my 21'5" as well. We are thinking about the '12 iMac & MP upgrades, possible dual screens, and thinking about desk real estate, etc. There have been a lot 21.5" vs. 27" threads and I thought that I would ask for some real input.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

About 22" and it doesn't matter what computer I'm using. (I've got a 27" iMac with a 20" Dell monitor next to it, and at work I've got two 17" monitors on a PC). I also wear eyeglasses with "computer lenses" that are set for that distance. I strongly recommend for anyone of the Presbyopia age.

8. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

I sit about 18" away from my 27", whether I'm working, playing or watching media, the distance doesn't change. I'm still young and have near perfect eyesight though.

9. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I don't wear glasses and I like my 21.5" iMac about 27" away.

10. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Assume average adult size body.... As a general rule, sit with back in vertical position, hold your right arm directly out (while keeping back / shoulders straight) and point fingers directly outward as well. If short arms, add 3-4". If long arms, then add 0". Finger tip should touch the screen. This is the general rule. From there, add -/+ up to 8" for personal comfort. Works for me...