How far away from iPhone can you be?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dontwalkhand, Mar 9, 2015.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I plan on using this at the gym a lot, and if it's anything like my pebble, I can't be more than a few feet away before it loses connection. I don't want to damage my iPhone 6 at the gym, so I was thinking if it can go longer, I could possibly leave the 6 in the locker and just use the watch in case someone calls.

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

I'm 99.9% positive that you will not be able to keep your phone in the locker (I assume that you go to a normal size gym such as LA Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness). The range should be about the same as you get with your Pebble at the moment, if not then maybe a little better but not that good.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I believe WiFi range as long as there is obviously WiFi available. If not, probably Bluetooth range.

4. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

thats what I'm hoping. wi fi signals can be picked up all over a gym. bluetooth on the other hand won't go over 30 feet that well.

5. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

At the gym, the watch will work by itself to play music to bluetooth headphones. That's all I'd need it for. More convenient than an iPod in my pocket and cords that get tangled to my ears.

It'd be great if it got text messages or calls too, but I don't bring my phone to work out anyways, so I don't 'lose' anything. It'd be nice... maybe in version 2?

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

BT range is usually at 30 feet. Wifi will be much greater depending on the wifi coverage.

odd your pebble disconnects so easily. Mine works at around 30 feet or a little more.

7. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

they mentioned in the schpeel that it uses wifi so it can be 'anywhere in your house' and the watch will still get the notifications / phone calls.
    that, plus the fact it wont disconnect from the phone all the time are the 2 reasons Im ditching my pebble for this.

8. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I've been reading some of the Apple developer message boards, and it seems that if on the same wifi network, the watch works fine with the phone. The watch will receive texts, alerts, able to make phone calls, etc.

So, it seems that if you're in a gym with Wifi, and both your phone and watch are connected to the wifi, you're good. This is awesome. I hope it's 100% true. We'll find out in the coming weeks.

9. rosario1990 macrumors regular

I don't know you can keep it on the locker or not. If you can do this it's amazing. What are you going to use instead of iphone?

10. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I don't understand that question at all.

11. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I'm not going to be making calls from the thing. Just wanting to see who is calling and whether if it's important enough for me to stop my workout to get to or not.

If it's an emergency or a potential client lead, I'll stop the workout. If it's just a Facebook notification I can keep going.

12. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Great question! I would love to leave my phone in the house while in the yard working. But it will not be so accurate in keeping step count, oh well.

If this is true, your talking the same wifi range as the network you own, like your home router, that could be 300 feet. I really thought the watch was directly communicating to the phone.

13. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

So it won't use Wifi Direct, it actually has to be connected to a Wifi access point to connect to your iPhone, right?

14. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I was wondering about this. Will the Apple Watch be able to maintain a connection as long as the Watch and iPhone are using the same WiFi connection? Seems like a faster, more secure, more reliable way to connect the two. Not that I'd get away with wearing an Apple Watch at work if there's already a rule against phones. ;)

15. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

This is great to hear since I had a similar question. I could find good use in the Watch for letting my wind down between exercises without using my phone, along with all the tracking apps and even the stopwatch functionality. However, I'd be more comfortable leaving my iPhone in my locked car than a locked locker. I do wonder what we can do with the Watch without an iPhone in range.

16. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

The watch and iPhone won't use APs to communicate with each other, that wouldn't make sense. How would you get notifications etc whilst away from a WiFi AP?

My guess is that it uses WiFi but creates their own p2p connection with each other, a bit like the AppleTV does for AirPlay with other devices where there is no access point.

I can't see how else it would work.