How Far Away Is A 4S(iOS5) Jailbreak Carrier Unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jaaay, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Jaaay macrumors member

As title, how long do people think it'll take for it (iOS5) to be cracked and an untethered jailbreak unlock to be released? Thinking of using a family member's upgrade to get the 4S, but i will need it to work on a different network (in the UK if it makes any difference).

Thanks

2. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

3. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

there probably wont be one for a long time if one does come out. reason is you can buy the factory unlocked version almost anywhere now and exploits in the baseband aren't easy to find. there was only one unlock for iphone 4 excluding the gevey sim

4. Jaaay thread starter macrumors member

Damn, the scenario im stuck with is if i take the upgrade, its on t-mobile, and im on orange at the moment but im looking to move to the cheapest sim only carrier, probably giff-gaff/tesco, which means it'll need to be unlocked :(

On another note, since t-mobile and orange have merged masts and what not, will the t-mobile locked iphone 4s work on orange perhaps?

5. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

6. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I don't know why the jailbreak community would waste their time anymore on a carrier unlock now that you can buy the phone unlocked everywhere (is that correct?). If people really want an unlocked phone that badly, they should just spend the extra money.

8. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I think the Thread Starter is talking about an unlock for the iPhone 4S through jailbreak

9. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

that doesn't help for people tied to att that travel outside of the country

10. peterjcat macrumors 6502

Even if it doesn't, T-mobile will permanently unlock the phone for £15 and you won't have to worry about jailbreaking. (You or your family member will still have to pay the T-mobile bills for the duration of the contract of course.)

11. kimlo macrumors member

If you're speaking about a carrier unlock there may not be one at all.

And that pretty much only matters for America because in most other parts of the world you either purchase it unlocked, get it unlocked by your carrier for free or unlock for usually under $100.

If it's jailbreak that you mean by unlock then I reckon within the first week or two.