Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will TomTom for iPhone be released?

• Just around the corner (1-2 weeks)

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • By August (3-6 weeks)

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • By Septmber (6-7 weeks)

Votes: 54 45.0%
  • Beyond Fall, and towards Christmas

Votes: 28 23.3%

• Total voters

wowipod

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
I just called tech support at 1-866-486-6866 and spoke to the PDA support and they said they were told that the TomTom app and accessories will be released on the same day at the end of the month. He could not give an exact date. That is around the same time I heard the full navigon version will be released too. I hope they are right. I have a trip planned for the 2nd week in August.

So between 28th July and 3rd August would be end of the
month. I hope that's right cause I want this app soon.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Is it so hard to read?
My guess is that TomTom sees a GPS receiver and thus the result is that application works flawlessly. Why wouldn't it? The 2G isn't handicapped.

You're missing the point. Some people with first gen iPhones might open the app before putting it into the dock. The TomTom app works with either the internal GPS or with the dock GPS. TomTom wants to make sure that when the iPhone isn't in the dock, the app doesn't crash (or provides user feedback if 3.0's "sandbox" keeps the api call in check) when trying to look for an internal GPS. It doesn't take much to crash an app on an iPhone, and people appreciate knowing why their device isn't working. I think most everybody can agree that both of those are valid points.

I don't know why people are arguing over this anyway. Adding hooks at the beginning that determine the hardware profile shouldn't take a long time to implement, as later on in your code you can put in statements that exclude blocks of code by checking it against the variable set for the type of device. It will, however, take a little longer to test on multiple devices to make sure that you didn't leave anything out.

In addition, if it's true that SDK 3.0 automagically catches errors from lines of code that are trying to be executed on an unsupported device (ie 3.0's sandbox catches that its trying to make an API call to GPS but its a first gen iPhone and kills that command) then that's fine too.

However, I doubt that 3.0 comes up with custom alert messages tailored to the app if it kills an api call. A good developer will code in messages so that the user knows why it isn't working. For example, when starting the app on a first gen iPhone, it should popup a message that says "You are using a first generation iPhone with no internal GPS. Please dock your iPhone with the TomTom GPS hardware to use navigation." Sure, most people won't open the app unless it's docked, but TomTom still needs to account for the people who will. It's just about making a good interface that gives feedback to the user when there is an unexpected result.

Either way, I doubt that this takes up a huge chunk of their dev time. Most likely they are trying to create as consistent an experience as possible between the built in GPS and the dock and that is taking up a lot of their development time. The GPS in the iPhone isn't up to snuff with the stuff they put into their standard units. That's why they said the GPS in the dock is an improvement over the iPhone's. The GPS in my iPhone 3GS has trouble keeping a good lock on me most of the time. It can be pretty jumpy when holding it in the car. They are probably coming up with algorithms that will smooth out the rough spots.

Also, arguing on the internet is really lame.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
TomTom really dropped the ball on this though. They are missing out on a lot of money.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I was reading an article on msnbc.com today about the iPhone apps for traveling. They mentioned the TomTom app came out in June along with the new 3G S iPhone. :eek:

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Read the LA Times article from Friday that I posted in one of the existing threads yesterday:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/07/tomtom-iphone-app.html

The TomTom VP says that the 2G and iPod Touch are something they're looking into now since the cradle would give those GPS ability. It's not on their priority list but they're looking at it.

Hah. What IS on the priority list? I would have thought that wehen they announced a year ago that their software was running on the 3g that they would have had this ready to go.

sportingdad

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
the tomtom car kit having built-in gps is ridiculous. i've been using navigon for a couple of weeks now and it works exactly the same as a dedicated sat-nav. encouraging the consumer to buy the kit and essentially bypass the iphone's gps and use only it's screen is pointless. it'll probably be a bit cheaper than a dedicated unit but that'll be the only reason for buying it.

a completely shameless attempt to drag more money out of us.

buy navigon.

+1, if your going to buy the car kit, you might as well just buy a gps, at least then you can play tetris while driving :eek:

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
I'm wondering if TomTom will work at actually making the app work well without the car kit, or will they purposly make it not work so great without the car kit to encourage you to buy one.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
I'm wondering if TomTom will work at actually making the app work well without the car kit, or will they purposly make it not work so great without the car kit to encourage you to buy one.

I'm going to keep my faith in man and assume TomTom will make the app as awesome as possible even without the carkit. Otherwise, it would suck to have to lug around 2 devices if you don't always drive the same car.

tombarnes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Surrey, United Kingdom
I'm going to keep my faith in man and assume TomTom will make the app as awesome as possible even without the carkit. Otherwise, it would suck to have to lug around 2 devices if you don't always drive the same car.

I agree. Also, surely someone who buys the Tomtom for iPhone app is looking for consolidation of devices. I.e instead of carrying an iPod, a phone, and a GPS, you just take your iphone which does all three.

I think it would be moving away from the whole ethos of iPhone if Tomtom were to go down the whole 'we'll make it crap if you don't buy the clumbersome dock' route.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
well

Well, I've said it before, I think the app will be 99$, but will be 74$ on launch, so very similar to the navigon app. Then, there will most likely be a 150$ PP for the bundle at launch, MAYBE 125$ for the kit for two weeks or something. I think a lot of people will pounce at that level, for the kit.

The navigon will be 99$ in what, a week? So, I am thinking we are pretty darn prepped for the TomTom product to release.

We'll see. At 200$ in the future (which I don't think it will ever be, I think it will MAX out at 160-175$ USA RETAIL) It will certainly see slower sales.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Well, I've said it before, I think the app will be 99$, but will be 74$ on launch, so very similar to the navigon app. Then, there will most likely be a 150$ PP for the bundle at launch, MAYBE 125$ for the kit for two weeks or something. I think a lot of people will pounce at that level, for the kit.

The navigon will be 99$ in what, a week? So, I am thinking we are pretty darn prepped for the TomTom product to release.

We'll see. At 200$ in the future (which I don't think it will ever be, I think it will MAX out at 160-175$ USA RETAIL) It will certainly see slower sales.

Similar pricing structure to Navigon will certainly help, but will it be, with IQ Routes etc?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
if

if this has IQ routes, or even paid monthly traffic access, it will be a NO BRAINER. Data access and traffic updates live to the device is the killer app.

speed12

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Is it just me who thinks £113 is actually reasonably good?

If that is just for british maps then OK a little on the steep side, but if its for European maps then its what, £40 more than Navigon at the moment and thats with Navigon on sale. So say Navigon goes up to £75-80 then its only £25 more and thats pretty much what you'd pay for a mount anyway.

Makes sense to me anyway!

curly14

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
So between 28th July and 3rd August would be end of the
month. I hope that's right cause I want this app soon.

First there is a thread already out there on this subject and secound i suggest you go with Navigon since it is out and running good besides i know someone at TomTom working on the app and it wont be released until Sept 3:D

curly14

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I was reading an article on msnbc.com today about the iPhone apps for traveling. They mentioned the TomTom app came out in June along with the new 3G S iPhone. :eek:

hmmmm lets see it's already aug... can you say ball dropage:p

NotOwning

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
There is still no release date yet though right? At least I haven't seen one. Who thinks this will be out in the next week?

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Similar pricing structure to Navigon will certainly help, but will it be, with IQ Routes etc?

if this has IQ routes, or even paid monthly traffic access, it will be a NO BRAINER.

I have posted this several times. It has IQRoutes:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/07/tomtom-iphone-app.html

had a chance recently to chat with Tom Murray, vice president of market development at TomTom Inc., about the anticipated app and the company's iPhone car kit. ...

First things first: No, TomTom hasn't announced pricing or an expected launch date for the app.

Here's what Murray highlighted about what the app will have:

the TomTom user interface
the latest version of Tele Atlas maps for North America and Europe, initially
IQ Routes, which calculates the fastest route based on data collected over the years from other TomTom users.
turn-by-turn directions
voice-guided navigation

Murray wasn't able to confirm whether the app would include Map Share, which lets users make and get map corrections from other users of the feature. Users may purchase additional locations, he said, but the logistics of that were still being worked out

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Is it just me who thinks £113 is actually reasonably good?

If that is just for british maps then OK a little on the steep side, but if its for European maps then its what, £40 more than Navigon at the moment and thats with Navigon on sale. So say Navigon goes up to £75-80 then its only £25 more and thats pretty much what you'd pay for a mount anyway.

Makes sense to me anyway!

Erm, navigon isn't on sale, it had its sale, it's fixed at £54.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.