How far away is your imac from the wall?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by trans-olsx, Oct 30, 2013.

?

How far away?

Poll closed May 18, 2014.
  1. 2 inches

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. 4 inches

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. 6 inches

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. More than 6 inches

28 vote(s)
    59.6%
  1. trans-olsx macrumors member

Does anyone here wish theirs was thinner? Or a little thicker for optical drive?
    Apple should take polls.

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Like the back of the base is around 3 inches away from the wall. I love the thinness.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Any thinner and the 27" probably wouldn't have customer accessible memory. This would be bad.

As for the optical drive, after much thought, I'd rather have an external one so if it breaks, it's easy to replace. I have a tray loading external drive which will handle discs that can cause issues (or just not work) in a slot loading drive.

4. jordanm86 macrumors regular

back of the base is more than 6 inches away but it's in a corner so the edges of the screen are around 3/4 inches away from the walls.

5. MikeChicago macrumors member

I'm probably good three feet away from any walls, so you can see the iMac from an angle when you walk into my office. I love the thinning design. It's really brilliant.

I don't mourn the loss of DVD drive and think Apple has moved in the right direction here. But if the RAM slot accessibility goes away on the 27" I would say they would have gone too far.

6. vancitybeit macrumors newbie

it's in a corner so the edges of the screen are around 3/4 inches away from the walls.[​IMG]

7. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I have the base of mine pretty much touching my wall, which I like.

8. aznboi91 macrumors regular

9. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

The entire point of the all-in-one design is that the computer disappears into the screen. Apple is getting pretty close. I have a 27" iMac from 2009. It still runs beautifully, but I look forward to the thinner, lighter profile.

10. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I don't like the newer thinner ones without the Optical drive. I would rather them keep the size like our 2011 27" iMacs.

It is a desktop, not a laptop. It doesn't need to be that thin and light. I prefer the size of our iMacs. I would rather have a desktop that I can easily upgrade the memory. Definitely don't want to have a desktop with soldered on memory. A desktop should have easy access to upgrade the memory. Ideally to upgrade the hard drive as well. Especially on HDDs. The one item that WILL fail. Should be able to be replaced without taking the entire thing apart.

I like a desktop that doesn't need a bunch of devices connected to it. I would much rather them add a Blue-ray / DVD player than get so thin nothing can be attached to the sides. Having everything on the back makes it harder to get to as well. I like mine with the SD slot on the side.

Laptops sure make them as light and thin as possible. Though I still don't like soldered on memory.

11. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

Same here.

My 2011 iMac may be my last new Mac desktop. (Really want the new Mac Pro though)

When the new Mac Pro's hit, I will be watching the used Mac Pro prices. And probably migrate to one of them instead of buying a new iMac/Mac Pro.
    Optical drive is not dead.. headed that way, but hardly dead. I use mine all the time and I don't want an external drive.

Someone should send Apple's own commercial to them, the one where they BASH PC users for having so many things to plug in.. wires everywhere, external everything.. And then promote the new all in one iMac.
    Now Apple is headed right back to external everything.

I know, i'm a dinosaur for wanting an optical drive.. but when you need to create/import multiple DVD's a week, messing with an external drive is a PITA.

I use my MBP's drive less, and am very tempted to buy an Air or rMBP. I don't really need the Optical drive in a laptop, rarely but I do use it. Desktop, I need one.

As far as the Poll.. I'm about 8" away from the wall.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Directly attached to the wall for my 27", because it's on a VESA mount.

13. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

My stand sits against the wall. So it sits as far as the stand is away from the computer.

14. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Mine too:
    [​IMG]

I'd have liked a more adjustable mount that still kept it this close to the wall. Any closer to the wall than this and it would be very tricky to get to the ports on the back, especially the thunderbolt, as the cable has such a long plug on the end.

15. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

It's very close to the wall but enough to give it space to "breathe" so I don't worry too much about overheating or such.:p

16. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, I found an external optical drive is better in multiple ways. The first is if it breaks, it's easier to deal with getting repaired. If one is not comfortable opening up an iMac, then you're computer is not useable of course while it's being repaired.

Another plus for an external drive is that it faces forward so it's easier to insert the disc. And finally you can get a tray loading drive while will handle discs that would be a problem in a slot loading drive.

As a bonus, the external optical drive I have also has a USB 2.0 hub in it which means I don't need a seperate hub on my desk. When I get a new iMac with Thunderbolt, I'm looking at the Sonnet Thunderbolt dock since it has an optical drive and room for a disk inside - this will keep desk clutter down. Also, the sonnet has a firewire port which I still have some use for.

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I agree. I always unplug and plug in my Belkin Thunderbolt dock into it. I made the mistake once of having bought too short an arm and had hell reaching the ports behind. Now I use an extendable arm that can swing sideways from the wall so that I can view the screen from the comfort of my bed.

18. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

I don't mind the vertical drive, I just don't want the clutter on the desk.
    Breaking open the iMac doesn't scare me. I have replaced iPhone 4/4S screens that have broken from drops. First one was a little scary.. now? meh.

I picked up a Moshi iLynx 800 hub a while back, don't have a big need for more ports right now.

Tempted to buy the OWC hard drive kit for the 2011 iMacs. (The one with the new power cable with inline heat sensor for the fans) and grab a Seagate 2TB hybrid drive.
    I have the 1TB 2.5" version in my MBP, huge difference!

Wall mounting the 27" iMac, love the look.
    My wall would be too far back though for me.. I have a large desk.

19. Bear macrumors G3

And the clutter is why I'm specifically looking at the Sonnet Dock. It''ll be 4 things in one:
    • Optical Drive
    • External HD
    • USB Ports (instead of a hub)
    • FireWire port (instead of a FW adapter to keep track of)
    As an added bonus, it has esata ports so I can get an external drive I have connected that way for better speed (no USB 3.0 on that drive).

20. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

I have no idea how much an inch is so i voted for the nearest wall option.
    Isnt like the whole world using metric system by now? almost. :)

21. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

I'm metric in everything but height, in which case i'm still feet and inches.:D

----------

Which drive is that?