How far away should I be sitting from my 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by The.316, Oct 29, 2010.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

The way my bedroom is set up, I have my imac on the wall, and the desk beneath it. I sit about two feet from it, if that. Im wondering if that is too close. I have vision problems (Im going to go to the doctors next month to get glasses), and I tend to sit about 3 feet from my 42" LED tv when I play my PS3. I cannot play a game any further than that because I just cant see well, and Ive always been like that, even when my eyesight was better. Do you think that maybe sitting so close to the machine has made my eyesight worse? Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I have my face about 2 feet away from my 24" when I'm working FWIW

3. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

I have a terrible time seeing at times. I mean, I cant read a sign on the wall thats about 10 feet away. I know I need glasses, but I was curious to know if maybe sitting so close to the tv/pc affected it. Im actually excited to get glasses, until I am ready to go for lasik. I know it will make my life so much more enjoyable just being able to see clearly.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Perhaps you should go to an opthamologist to ask these questions?:confused:;)

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

How old are you?

I got my first specs when I was about 12, and it blew my mind what a difference it made.

You should really get your glasses asap

6. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

Im 32. I use to wear contact lenses back when I was in my late teens, but they bothered me so much when I played basketball, and never really wore anything since. My insurance here gives me 90 euros for specs, which isnt really that much. I want to get a pair, or two, of glasses, for the beach, and some contacts for every day usage.

7. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Ok so here's the problem I have, if I am dissatisfied with a 19 inch monitor and I buy a bigger one like a 27+ inch why would I move it further back?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting a bigger monitor?

Is there some sort of dangerous radiation emitted from an LED to worry about?

Won't moving the screen back just cause more eye strain?

If it is a matter of screen brightness wouldn't it just be easier to lower the monitors brightness settings?

If I get a bigger monitor it is for the practical purpose of having more space on the desktop to work and be able to read fonts at the same size I currently do, so I think it should remain the same distance from where one sits and adjust the resolution to create more space for other tasks rather than move it back.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Same here, but I bump the font size by 2.

But then it depends on what screen resolution you are using.