All iPads How far can iPads get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MisterBigMack, Oct 23, 2013.

1. MisterBigMack macrumors member

What next big insight can we expect from the iPad?

Can we expect something new and radical soon? Over the last couple of years we have had improvements but nothing extreme and was just wondering, every improvement does make the product better but can what is the next big thing for the iPad?

What would you like?

2. thealvintran macrumors regular

What else can a tablet do? Maybe an S-Pen kind of stylus would be neat. IR blaster, NFC, maybe a built in kickstand would be nice too.

3. Seniordan macrumors regular

Some kind of keyboard similar to the Surface.

4. MisterBigMack thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's the question, can the tablet do any more, do we want the tablet to do any more?

Are we waiting for apple (or any other for that matter) to add or release a new factor to the tablet that will make us go "ooooh that is a great idea, never knew I needed that but I love it!" - in similar to how when the first iPad was when it was released

I don't know, just something I thought about, it might be a while away this but got me thinking...

5. gentleman00 macrumors 6502

As long as there are profits to be made in existing technologies, there is no reason for Apple, or for any company for that matter, to introduce new technologies. HDTV was introduced in Japan in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but U.S. companies did not introduce this new technological leap in the US market until there were sure no more profits could be made from the older TV technologies.

You can expect something radical when the profits are down and when investor expectations rise.

6. Scorpion008 macrumors member

My dream: Picture a macbook air (11" or 13"). Everything works normally, and you are looking at a Mac OS X interface. You want to play some games now, so you take the screen off, because its an iPad Air. The iPad switches OS's in a few seconds and presents you with the iOS home screen. Voila. The best of both worlds.

7. MisterBigMack thread starter macrumors member

That does sound appealing, and would definitely interest me, is that more or less the same what windows does with some of its systems? Think hp does something like that?

After what Tim cook said at the keynote on Tuesday, I don't think that idea would ever appear

8. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Adobe has teamed up with Adonit to make a radical new stylus with pressure sensitivity, tilt sensitivity, and a nib that's only 1.8 or 1.9mm made out of a harder material. It uses some sort of electromagnetic magic to fool the iPad into thinking it is creating a larger touch target—so that you don't need a bulky nib and can see your work. The initial version from Adonit is shipping I believe, or will be soon, and that one I believe lacks pressure and tilt sensitivity? But Adobe's "Project Mighty" is now a commercial product to launch in the first half of 2014. I was going to pick up the new Wacom pressure sensitive version but now I kind of want to see what happens with the Mighty Pen. Wacom's is pretty much the same except that it has a bulky nib. Both run Bluetooth 4.0 LE so the battery life is pretty good.

NFC is going to be replaced with iBeacons which is a Bluetooth technology that is more secure and has longer range.

If you want a kick-stand, get a case.

I've got a really innovative idea that I've been cooking up. Not sure if I want to share it just yet. I kind of want to render some mockups. Maybe make a short video and post it online. I'm a designer so I want to get some credit! #

Maybe someday I'll land my dream job at Apple. Everything will probably be good until they see all my posts on MacRumors and ban me for fear I will leak stuff. I would never leak anything if I worked at Apple. Not worth it! Would be the best job ever—and probably incredibly stressful. But amazing. I made some mockups a few years ago that I posted on here that eventually turned into the lock screen notifications that we have today—sliding the icons across to open them and such.

9. MisterBigMack thread starter macrumors member

Mmm...

Perhaps the tablet market is going this way and small iterations will follow to make it marginally better and so forth

Would love some new technology will will follow on for the next 10+ years, I have no idea where it is coming from because for one I'm not that smart and two: I'm sure apple have a goal and know where technology is heading

Do you think 4K will be a big part of future products for apple?

10. thealvintran macrumors regular

I don't know if this is even remotely possible, but if the iPad can incorporate E-Ink technology into the display as well, it would make it the best of both worlds. A tablet for normal use, and a low power consumption ereader when you need it without the backlight.
    Get on it Apple! lol

11. Scorpion008 macrumors member

Well, everything Apple does does better than (almost) anything Microsoft does, so I would discount the idea because Microsoft's stuff bombed. And Tim won't be CEO forever you know.

----------

Intriguing! If you have difficulties releasing your ideas to the public, could you pm them to me? I swear I won't tell anyone, or take credit.

12. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Wacom-like tablet ability.

Expanded ability via the OS and external hardware--to be an iMacMini-Air-Pad. If Apple could make it an autonomous computer by giving it a base to hook into with a larger drive and maybe even some extra processing, expansion ports, etc, it can be a desktop and a mobile device.

I wish it was an AppleTV, but Apple wants to sell AppleTVs. It has all the ability to do so.

13. g35 macrumors 6502a

That's what they do with the Surface Pro. It doesn't switch automatically but it can be done by pressing the Windows key or swiping in from the right side and pressing the Windows button.

I'm pretty sure Apple will eventually go this route and it will be hailed as the next big thing. It's a very elegant solution.

14. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

15. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

I don't go far, I wish Wifi AC and fingerprint reader is in iPad Air. I am kinda regret I sold iPad4 at this point. Thiner, lighter, pretty, yap-yap-yap

16. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

While the iPad is popular among those who wish a portable device to check email, social sites, and the like, it is not the Holy Grail of computerization. In time maybe but until tablets secure the same kind of horsepower under the hood, it's brothers and sisters are still at the top of the totem pole when it comes to serious work. For example film/video production in rastering 4K is not going to happen with current generation iPad. That's what the Mac Pro is awesome for: 12 cores of hardworking genius.

I realize that a lot of people on this forum have indicated that they make their living on the iPad - having shelved their MacBooks. I wonder what would be the optimal type of business to run with the just released iPad Air?

There isn't a lot of weight difference between Macbook Airs and the iPads. So then why choose an iPad over a Macbook Air? I mean I hear a lot of discussion here about weight - everyone wants feather lite machines. Are people so out of shape that even a few pounds is too much to bear? I don't have the answer but I do know that iPads resolve some web pages very differently than what you see on a laptop.

But I think iPads will be around for a little while longer. However, the clock is ticking on tablets in general. Manufacturers have flooded the market with tablets and overall they all do the same things. And they all have their limitations. When the market becomes totally saturated and there's no more room for growth, the industry will fold. I am sure by that time something yet to be invented to replace tablets will be on the shelves.

17. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

Agreed on the E-Ink point. I've pictured a smart cover with E-Ink display for reading. Don't have any idea as to the technical feasability, but it would make a great reader, and solve the issue with the iPad just not being as great as a Kindle (or other eReader) for book reading.

----------

I replaced my 11" MBA with an iPad. While I have a rMBP as my main work computer, my iPad is still the device I throw in my bag when I hit the road. The form-factor of a tablet is much more suited to immediate consumption/basic-creation than a laptop. I don't mind standing up to quickly accomplish something on an iPad, but whipping out a MBA and balancing that to do the same thing is a little trickier. It's not even about the weight, but rather about the size/form-factor. Obviously, the iPad doesn't do everything for everyone, but for many, it's still a very useful portable device, and at least in my case, moreso than a MBA.

18. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I have a contact at Apple who says that exact product is coming, probably by next year.
    The 13" iPad rumors and the 17-Watt power supply are both related to this product.
    Apple is basically done with traditional laptops and the Air and the Pro will be getting nothing but spec-bumps from now on. No more real innovation.
    This new product is where Apple will be focusing most of their energy.

19. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

From the business sense, why would Apple want to consolidate two products into one? Wouldn't it be better, fiscally, to have customers buying a mac AND an iPad, rather than just a iTransformer?

20. Scorpion008 macrumors member

They want to portray a sense of innovation.

----------

Wow. I had no idea. That's awesome!

21. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Had an iPad for 18 months now. To be honest, the only time it gets used is when travelling abroad.

Otherwise, hardly ever. That's because I've got a smartphone and a MBP. And I drive to work too.

The opportunity to use it is limited for me, so personally speaking I can't see too many game-changing innovations that will ACTUALLY make me use it more.

Recognise that's not the same for everyone, though!

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I dream of a Surface Pro 2 dressed in an iPad Air outfit with at least one USB port.

Yum.

Imagine running all your old apps, connecting to external devices, having access to your file system, in a 1lb package as elegant as the iPad Air.

We have the technology. Just not the right combination of companies, technologies and interests...

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Remember this patent drawing that was floating around a couple of years back? Everyone assumed the dockable device was a MacBook.

[​IMG]

Apple previously had dockable solutions with the Powerbook Duos; the desktop docks contained larger drives and in some cases a math coprocessor. Following what Sony did by putting a dedicated GPU in their laptop's power supply, the new docks could contain all the hardware needed to run OSX quickly without burdening the tablet with the extra weight and size. The iPad would dock in an iMac or a keyboard case that contains the extra hardware. All your settings and files would sync across docked OSX and a stripped version of OSX that runs on the new iPads.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Except docks and wired connections are starting to be old-fashioned technology. I'm thinking everything would connect wirelessly -- a wireless base station with the extra processing power, wireless keyboard and pointing device, and the monitor connects with AirPlay. Bring a paired iPad within range, and everything just connects automagically.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If Apple can find some way of wirelessly connecting to a CPU and GPU then more power to them, but OSX on ARM is not going to cut it as a replacement computer for people who need a computer. And that's the point of a hybrid.