How far can my Time Capsule extend wireless range?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Torb77, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Torb77 macrumors newbie

I understand from reading various threads that a Time Capsule can extend my wireless network in the same way the Airport Express can right?

How far will it extend the range? I have recently renovated our granny flat for my 16 year old daughter and guess what. The internet doesn't work out there!! Shock horror, imagine a 16 year old girl without internet:mad:

The granny flat is about 10 meters away from the house. Will the TC cover this range?

Appreciate any feedback.

2. pmurray633 macrumors newbie

Wifi typically will cover about 100 feet unidirectional. I don't see 10 meters being an issue. Although in my experience with using a hot spot to extend the rage the coverage is significantly decreased.

3. Torb77, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

Torb77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't know what you mean by hot spot?

Anyway. I have my Telstra modem sitting in my house and we connect our devices via wireless but it doesn't reach out to the granny flat. So, does the TC send the signal further or something? Or is the idea that I put the TC somewhere in my house away from the Telstra modem and then it strengthens the signal?

How should I connect the TC to my modem? Via cabel or wireless?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

brief termonolgy lesson.
    wireless extend - uses wireless between the 2 bases
    modem --ethernet-> 1st base --wireless--> 2nd base --wireless--> computer​

or you can add a second base station
    modem --ethernet-> 1st base --ethernet--> 2nd base --wireless--> computer​

---------------
    the express will only extend a wireless network that is generated by an apple product.
    it can act as a second base station on any network.
    -------

while wirelesss may reach 100 feet in open air, it might not reach 10 feet if there is a wall between. depends on what that wall is made of.

your best bet would be to place the wireless by a window in the house that can see the other location.
    or you could place a second base in that window.

actually the best way would be to run an ethernet cable out, and a second base station in the apartment.

if you can't get a wire there, you could try powerline networking to get the network signal to the other place, and then put a wireless access point on the other side.

5. Torb77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, so you are saying that I need to buy another apple product such as the airport express device to create two bases as the existing Telstra modem is not counted as a base? And even then because my first base will be upstairs behind numerous walls and a floor there is uncertainty how long it will reach.
    I can't get the ethernet cable out to the apartment so which option would you recommend? To buy an airport express or to go the powerline networking option? If I go with the powerline option do I still need two bases?

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you plan on using a wireless connection between the repeater and the main network, then yes, you would need another apple router. you could put an express/extreme beside your existing telestra and disable the wireless on the telestra. (it's not good to have 2 bases transmitting right next to each other)
    You would also need a good wireless signal between the two apple devices, you could try that out with a laptop where you plan to put the second base.

or if you can get an etherent cable from the existing telestra to a window that's facing the apartment, you could put an airport express in that window.

if you can't run a cable, you could try powerline networking to get a signal to that window to plug the express into.
    you could also try putting the powerline receiver in the apartment, it should work, since you're on the same mains. If your daughter requires wireless, then you'll need an express or something in the apartment, otherwise, she can plug her computer into the powerline receiver.

apple wireless isn't something magic, it uses the same basic technology as all the other manufacturers. so you're unlikely to see an improvement by simply replacing a good quality router with an apple product. (chances are the telestra router isn't the best quality, so a simple router swap might help)

You could also use something like this device from netgear, it will work with your existing telestra wireless.

also wireless is a bit of an art and a science, the environment plays a huge role in the success or failure of your network. Visualize a straight line path from the router to where you want the signal to go, does it pass through a kitchen cabinet full of metal pans? an old plaster wall with metal lath? also if the signal goes through a wall at a right angle, it has a much better chance of getting through. (shallow angles make the wall seem thicker)