Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
If I go too far away from the phone when I get near the phone again will it automatically start working with the phone again. I hope so or else it would be annoying.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
From David Pogue's review ...

The watch communicates with the iPhone over Bluetooth — and Wi-Fi, which is something Android Wear watches can only dream about. So even if your phone is out of Bluetooth range from your watch, as long as both are on the same Wi-Fi network the phone can still be the comm center for the watch.

And here’s a surprising feature that Apple hasn’t said anything about previously: When the watch is in a known Wi-Fi hotspot, the watch can perform the most essential online functions even when your phone is completely dead, turned off, or absent. It can query Siri, for example, send and receive texts, and send/receive drawings and tap patterns to other watch owners. That’s impressive.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
From what I understand the watch & iPhone use bluetooth 4.0 with a theoretical max distance of 100m, but in reality with walls, other radio signals interfering, etc you're looking at maybe 20-30m (or about 60-90ft in old money).

However, if the watch is connected to the same wi-fi as your phone (say your home router), then you can leave the phone charging and you can go anywhere that your watch is still able to pick up the wifi signal and still get notifications from your watch.

So from what I understand, if you connected to the wifi of a large company that spanned 3 buildings, all on the same managed network, then you could leave your phone in building 1, go to building 3 (could be a few miles away) and as long as both the phone and watch are connected to the same network they can interact, despite being large distances apart.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Hi

I have an Edimax Wifi extender so in my house I have 'Zoom' (the router) and 'Zoom643BB2' (the extender) I do find this a pain and would prefer just one large network covering the whole house.

If the iphone was on 'Zoom643BB' network & #watch on 'Zoom' network or vice versa should all be okay?

cheers

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Hi

I have an Edimax Wifi extender so in my house I have 'Zoom' (the router) and 'Zoom643BB2' (the extender) I do find this a pain and would prefer just one large network covering the whole house.

If the iphone was on 'Zoom643BB' network & ��watch on 'Zoom' network or vice versa should all be okay?

cheers

Network names don't mean anything with regards to devices communicating. Are they all on the same subnet & IP address range? If you can communicate between 2 standard windows laptops connected to the same workgroup over the extender/router, then should be fine.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
thanks for your reply

the IPs of devices are the same when conected to either the router or wifi extender. 192.168.x.x using 'Fing' for iphone.

Its just that when I walk around the house if my iphone is airplaying to #TV and I join a different network the airplay stops I would prefer a 'clone' of the router and just one network.

I was hoping the # watch wont loose connection when moving around house as airplay does. (I understand #watch uses bluetooth and wifi to pair)

Cheers

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
thanks for your reply

the IPs of devices are the same when conected to either the router or wifi extender. 192.168.x.x using 'Fing' for iphone.

Its just that when I walk around the house if my iphone is airplaying to ��TV and I join a different network the airplay stops I would prefer a 'clone' of the router and just one network.

I was hoping the �� watch wont loose connection when moving around house as airplay does. (I understand ��watch uses bluetooth and wifi to pair)

Cheers

192.168.x.x is not the same IP address range. If one is on 192.168.0.1 and the other is on 192.168.1.1 they wont talk to each other without the router having to do some work.

Should be on 192.168.0.x or similar. Only the last part of the IP address should be different. It can be done with having them on different ranges, but it's not as straight forward.

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
192.168.x.x is not the same IP address range. If one is on 192.168.0.1 and the other is on 192.168.1.1 they wont talk to each other without the router having to do some work.

Should be on 192.168.0.x or similar. Only the last part of the IP address should be different. It can be done with having them on different ranges, but it's not as straight forward.

That would depend on the subnet mask.

JerryCooke

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
Bath, UK
I work in the medical field and at certain times I cannot or do not have anywhere to keep the phone on me, that's why I am looking forward to the watch!

Aye, the click to accept wifi question had occurred to me for the same reason; I can't have my phone on me at all times and frequently have to leave my phone in areas with no cell reception (so pop the device in airplane mode to avoid draining the battery searching for signal) and so putting them on the same wifi network will be amazing, however the public network is a 'accept once, reconnect automatically' system, so presumably it automatically logs your MAC and recognises you, I'll be interested to see if the watch works with this system. I'm sure I'll cope if not though, I have up till this point ;)

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
yes both networks (the router & extender) have same IPs- 192.168.2.x where x is different

should that be okay?

have you any experience that these extenders (details below) being better for seemless transition between networks ie walking around the house?

About this item (amazon UK)
Product Description
'TP Link's TL-WPA4220KIT extends your Internet connection to every room of the house through your home’s existing electrical circuitry. The TL-WPA4220 features a WiFi Clone button enabling Super Range Extension, which means it can automatically copy the SSID and Password of your router. In this way, the TL-WPA4220 simplifies your WiFi configuration and allows for seamless roaming within your home network. After pressing the button, you can place the powerline adapter anywhere you want for wired or wireless access and enjoy seamless networking across your entire home or office.'

thanks again much appreciated

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
yes both networks (the router & extender) have same IPs- 192.168.2.x where x is different

should that be okay?

have you any experience that these extenders (details below) being better for seemless transition between networks ie walking around the house?

About this item (amazon UK)
Product Description
'TP Link's TL-WPA4220KIT extends your Internet connection to every room of the house through your home’s existing electrical circuitry. The TL-WPA4220 features a WiFi Clone button enabling Super Range Extension, which means it can automatically copy the SSID and Password of your router. In this way, the TL-WPA4220 simplifies your WiFi configuration and allows for seamless roaming within your home network. After pressing the button, you can place the powerline adapter anywhere you want for wired or wireless access and enjoy seamless networking across your entire home or office.'

thanks again much appreciated

Should work fine, but I don't have experience with them and getting more seamless transition to be honest. Something you might have to look into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.