How far can you actually go with iPhone and animations?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Thetcm, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Thetcm macrumors newbie

We're looking to put animations on our iphone app, kind of like movies.

After looking at the doc and searching online, I came to the conclusion that there's nothing exactly flash-like?

The 3 solutions I found were :

-Put tons of pictures in a document and animate by changing the picture every second or so. NOT a good idea here, considering I'll have over 25 animations of the kind.

-Deconstruct the image into parts(background, character, etc) and do my best to animation with only movements and rotations. NOT a good idea either since I'm gonna be limited in what I can do.

-Export .mov files and read them directly in the QuickTime player.

Is that all you can do for flash-like anims? I'm currently gonna work on doing movs, and use the other 2 solutions for UI animations if necessary...

2. jnic macrumors 6502a

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. CoreAnimation or OpenGL ES might also be worth a look.

3. Thetcm thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot find these two app in my Developper folder. Only Core Image Fun House and OpenGL Shade Builder.

They're kind of complicated animations in a sense. They're basically workers doing a mistakes(all done in cartoon style) which results in them dying or explosions. I'm required to be able to have nearly no limits in what I can do, or else the final result will look bland and uninteresting.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

That's pretty much the approach that actual Flash animations take too. So...

5. Thetcm thread starter macrumors newbie

With Flash I can easily animate movements beyond that though.

6. Thetcm thread starter macrumors newbie

CoreAnimation is the Framework? Or is there actually a software behind it?

7. jnic macrumors 6502a

A framework.

First link in my previous post.

8. Thetcm thread starter macrumors newbie

Right. So we've decided to look a bit at what we can do with OpenGL and CoreAnimation and how limited we are. I was shooting for a style that was way more cartoonish but I guess I'm gonna have to go with mostly moving images and special effects.

Thanks a lot! ;)