Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
England, UK.
I’ve tested outside, and I can get about 25-30 meters away before I lose connection to my iPhone.

S7 SS & iPhone 12 Pro Max.

At my nan’s house, my iPhone can be in my bedroom and I stay connected all over the house. However, if I leave my iPhone in the front room (sitting room) I can lose connection at the far end of the house, even though at these locations, when my iPhone is in my bedroom (further away) I maintain connection.

Bluetooth doesn’t seem to like the front room wall, for some reason.

So, how far can you get from your iPhone before you lose connection with your Apple Watch, and do you also have any “fussy” rooms in your house, re Bluetooth connectivity?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've had my Bluetooth earphones cut out when I open the refrigerator and bend down to look inside, thus getting the door between me and the phone. Thus, I'm sure there can be "fussy" rooms and corners in a house, depending on what material is in the walls, and configuration of furniture.

Reactions: The London Fella

The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
England, UK.
I've had my Bluetooth earphones cut out when I open the refrigerator and bend down to look inside, thus getting the door between me and the phone. Thus, I'm sure there can be "fussy" rooms and corners in a house, depending on what material is in the walls, and configuration of furniture.
HaHa, it’s interesting you say that.

During my testing, I was comparing against my AirPod Pros and with my iPhone in the same place, I can get outside the front door. However, if I turn around, they cut out! Turn around again, and they resume.

Whilst facing towards the direction of my iPhone, I can take a few steps back before I lose connection.

Seems like Bluetooth is a finicky technology.

I returned the AW today, by the way. Gave it a good go, but I just couldn’t see the value in it.

Nice to see you there by the way, my friend. I hope you are well and happy.

Reactions: Night Spring

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I returned the AW today, by the way. Gave it a good go, but I just couldn’t see the value in it.

Nice to see you there by the way, my friend. I hope you are well and happy.
I was wondering how you were getting on with the watch. Bit sorry to hear you returned it, only because that means less opportunities to talk to you.

As I've said before, I use the watch mainly as an activity tracker, and since I mostly stay home, even more so in this pandemic, if I didn't use the activity tracking functions, I too wouldn't have any use for a watch.

But yes, I'm well and happy, and hope you are too. Maybe someday I'll get a new Mac or some other Apple device we are both interested in (the next device on my wishlist is actually the Beats Fits Pro) and we'll bump into each other again in the forums.

BigBlur

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
The range for Bluetooth is around 10 meters, so it seems a little odd that it still worked 25-30 meters away (via Bluetooth)...though not impossible I suppose. Just to be sure, have you confirmed that the watch was actually connected via Bluetooth when it worked 25-30 meters away? If you're near a known Wi-Fi network, the watch will switch to that if it cannot connect to your phone via Bluetooth. You have to open the control center on the watch to see how it's connected, otherwise you really don't notice any difference when it's connected via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

I've noticed a similar experience, so perhaps the same thing occurred for you. When I'm home near my Wi-Fi network, my watch will switch to Wi-Fi when I'm outside of the Bluetooth range. When I'm visiting friends/family and not connected to their Wi-Fi network, my watch will lose connectivity when outside of Bluetooth range.

Last edited:

The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
England, UK.
I was wondering how you were getting on with the watch. Bit sorry to hear you returned it, only because that means less opportunities to talk to you.

As I've said before, I use the watch mainly as an activity tracker, and since I mostly stay home, even more so in this pandemic, if I didn't use the activity tracking functions, I too wouldn't have any use for a watch.

But yes, I'm well and happy, and hope you are too. Maybe someday I'll get a new Mac or some other Apple device we are both interested in (the next device on my wishlist is actually the Beats Fits Pro) and we'll bump into each other again in the forums.
I’ve actually just had my account unbanned.

Someone was having a go at me, I bit back, and got banned.

Was fondly reading some of your comments yesterday on a thread related to the AOD and how your eyesight isn’t so good, so it serves no purpose to you, as you have to bring the Watch up to your face to see it anyway.

Tried to find a way to send you a PM, just to say hello, but couldn’t find an option to do so. Maybe you have to be following someone to PM them?

Anyway, you seem like a really nice fella & it’s always a pleasure conversing with you.

I now only have my iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPad Pro 2020 11” with MKB & AirPods Pro.

I’ve bought two of the new MBPs, but both had defects so had to be returned. I’ll give it a rest for a little while, before attempting again.

What Bluetooth headset are you using? I’m enjoying the AirPods Pro.

The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
England, UK.
The range for Bluetooth is around 10 meters, so it seems a little odd that it still worked 25-30 meters away (via Bluetooth)...though not impossible I suppose. Just to be sure, have you confirmed that the watch was actually connected via Bluetooth when it worked 25-30 meters away? If you're near a known Wi-Fi network, the watch will switch to that if it cannot connect to your phone via Bluetooth. You have to open the control center on the watch to see how it's connected, otherwise you really don't notice any difference when it's connected via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

I've noticed a similar experience, so perhaps the same thing occurred for you. When I'm home near my Wi-Fi network, my watch will switch to Wi-Fi when I'm outside of the Bluetooth range. When I'm visiting friends/family and not connected to their Wi-Fi network, my watch will lose connectivity when outside of Bluetooth range.
Ha, I was taking 1m steps, stopping & pausing to check.

I’d say 25 meters, that’s outside, with nothing between my iPhone & the watch.

Interesting that my AirPods Pro perform better?

Anyway, I’ve returned it now so it’s academic.

Thanks for your input.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What Bluetooth headset are you using? I’m enjoying the AirPods Pro.
I'm using these:

I bought a pair when they first came out, then later bought another pair when they had a discount on refurbished models. I now keep one on charger while I'm using the other, so I'm never out of battery.

I've found the Bose's ear tip design secure and comfortable, and that's why I'm so interested in the Beats Fits Pro. It has the wingtip design that's similar to Bose's ear tips. I tried the AirPods Pro, and while I found it's sound quality, noise cancellation, and other functions impressive, I couldn't shake the nagging feeling that they could fall out any moment. All the reviews I've seen says Beats Fit Pro has same sound quality as AirPods Pro, and all the same functionality, maybe not quite as good in noise cancellation. That's fine with me, I don't actually need noise cancellation.

And sorry to hear you got banned. I used to moderate a email group, way before there were online forums, so I know what ticks moderators off, and thus, I know how to avoid getting banned. ;) it helps to take a deep breath, and not assume people are attacking you personally. Or even if you are sure they are intentionally attacking you, ignore that and stick to the topic. If even after that, they keep up the attack, use the report button, call in the mods, and stop responding. 9 times out of 10, the other poster will get moderated, while you come out looking reasonable. :D

The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
England, UK.
I'm using these:

I bought a pair when they first came out, then later bought another pair when they had a discount on refurbished models. I now keep one on charger while I'm using the other, so I'm never out of battery.

I've found the Bose's ear tip design secure and comfortable, and that's why I'm so interested in the Beats Fits Pro. It has the wingtip design that's similar to Bose's ear tips. I tried the AirPods Pro, and while I found it's sound quality, noise cancellation, and other functions impressive, I couldn't shake the nagging feeling that they could fall out any moment. All the reviews I've seen says Beats Fit Pro has same sound quality as AirPods Pro, and all the same functionality, maybe not quite as good in noise cancellation. That's fine with me, I don't actually need noise cancellation.

And sorry to hear you got banned. I used to moderate a email group, way before there were online forums, so I know what ticks moderators off, and thus, I know how to avoid getting banned. ;) it helps to take a deep breath, and not assume people are attacking you personally. Or even if you are sure they are intentionally attacking you, ignore that and stick to the topic. If even after that, they keep up the attack, use the report button, call in the mods, and stop responding. 9 times out of 10, the other poster will get moderated, while you come out looking reasonable. :D
That headset looks impressive.

Like the colourway.

I have a pair of BeatsX, and the battery just runs down fast when not in use. Thus, I don’t really trust Beats.

Got them for free from Apple, following a dispute, so I don’t really care.

I’m surprised you never found the AirPods Pro secure? I feel very confident when wearing them. I also like to listen to music whilst laying in bed, daydreaming, thus BeatsX & the like, with the wire, aren’t suitable. True wireless buds like the AirPods Pro suit me just fine.

I think you’re around my age, from what you said about your prior days of moderating. I was an Atari ST user, back in the day, then moved onto the Commodore Amiga, truly ahead of its time. I was heavily into the demo scene, and there were BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) but I wasn’t connected.

Thanks for the advice, which has been noted. I can take so much, then I bite. However, the nice fella at MacRumors was understanding, and unbanned my account. I told him of my mental health issues, and he was caring enough to say that he hopes my participation on the forums helps me. I’ll not forget his kind gesture, and will respect him enough to bite my tongue going forward!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That headset looks impressive.

Like the colourway.

I have a pair of BeatsX, and the battery just runs down fast when not in use. Thus, I don’t really trust Beats.

Got them for free from Apple, following a dispute, so I don’t really care.

I’m surprised you never found the AirPods Pro secure? I feel very confident when wearing them. I also like to listen to music whilst laying in bed, daydreaming, thus BeatsX & the like, with the wire, aren’t suitable. True wireless buds like the AirPods Pro suit me just fine.
I think it's just my ear shape, plus I make sudden involuntary movements because of my cerebral palsy.

I haven't noticed anyone complaining about the battery in Beats Ft Pro, but I'll keep that in mind.

I think you’re around my age, from what you said about your prior days of moderating. I was an Atari ST user, back in the day, then moved onto the Commodore Amiga, truly ahead of its time. I was heavily into the demo scene, and there were BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) but I wasn’t connected.
I first learned coding on a Commodore PET -- does that date me? Lol.

Thanks for the advice, which has been noted. I can take so much, then I bite. However, the nice fella at MacRumors was understanding, and unbanned my account. I told him of my mental health issues, and he was caring enough to say that he hopes my participation on the forums helps me. I’ll not forget his kind gesture, and will respect him enough to bite my tongue going forward!
I'm truly impressed with the moderating staff on MacRumors. They allow lively and sometimes heated discussion, but know how to step in when things get out of hand. Luckily, I haven't had serious mental health issues, but I have problems with physical fatigue that's hard for healthy people to understand. Even with my mobility issues, it's hard to get people to understand what I can and can't do -- people assume I can't do something I CAN do, then are surprised when I can't do something it didn't occur to them would be a problem. So I'm happy for you that MacRumors guy was understanding of you.

• Love

The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
England, UK.
I think it's just my ear shape, plus I make sudden involuntary movements because of my cerebral palsy.

I haven't noticed anyone complaining about the battery in Beats Ft Pro, but I'll keep that in mind.

I first learned coding on a Commodore PET -- does that date me? Lol.

I'm truly impressed with the moderating staff on MacRumors. They allow lively and sometimes heated discussion, but know how to step in when things get out of hand. Luckily, I haven't had serious mental health issues, but I have problems with physical fatigue that's hard for healthy people to understand. Even with my mobility issues, it's hard to get people to understand what I can and can't do -- people assume I can't do something I CAN do, then are surprised when I can't do something it didn't occur to them would be a problem. So I'm happy for you that MacRumors guy was understanding of you.
I’ve heard of, and seen a PET in pictures, but think it was slightly before my time.

I was a Speccy fella, whereas buddies all seemed to have C64s (admittedly, the better machine.)

We learned BASIC on BBC Micros at school, then DBASE & COBOL at college.

Great days … I miss them.

Sorry to learn you have cerebral palsy. I now understand how the AW can be of use to you. You sound like a fighter, so good on you :).

Are you still a coder? If so, have you any apps on the App Store?

I gave up coding when I left college, and started raving. My life took a distinct turn, which lead me down a dark path. I’d have been very successful by now, as I always excelled at college (didn’t like school) but life is a journey, and I truly believe that our experiences (both good and bad) are what makes us.

Was you into STs or Amigas? I loved those computers. The ST was ubiquitous in most recording studios, because of it’s built in MIDI ports. However, as a stand-alone machine, the Amiga was superior.

What groups were you into, back in the day? Depeche Mode was my group whilst at college. Loved them, still do. I love listening to their music, and reminiscing about the good old days.

I actually think we’re quite lucky (illness permitting, of course) to have been there, from the beginning. We’ve had the pleasure of experiencing tech from the beginning, thus can appreciate what we have available today. These kids today don’t know what it’s like to have to load an OS from a floppy, before you can even get going :D.

Yes, that moderator was a kind fella. It’s nice when people show compassion, and understanding.

Ironically, I was in a pub today, having a couple of Guinnesses & some lunch (only go out once a week) and there was a fella in a wheelchair. He was outside, and I asked him if someone was assisting him (with getting up the step) and he said yes thanks. We got chatting a bit inside, and I could tell he was quite a lonely soul. He was going out of his way to make conversation, and I reciprocated. Ben, was his name. Got his injuries from a car accident. Anyway, if me showing him a bit of attention brought an element of joy to his day, that makes my day worth it.

Alas, I digress.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I actually think we’re quite lucky (illness permitting, of course) to have been there, from the beginning. We’ve had the pleasure of experiencing tech from the beginning, thus can appreciate what we have available today. These kids today don’t know what it’s like to have to load an OS from a floppy, before you can even get going
Yes, I do feel lucky to have been there early, though I once met a guy who said he coded computers using punch cards. Now that's the beginning, lol. And yes, I remember floppies -- I once had to load a program that came on something like 20 floppy disks! But the students the year before me had to use cassette tapes to store their data. Now, that was slooooooooooow. I don't know how they ever got any work done. Fortunately, when I took the class, the school bought floppy disks -- the 5 inch kind. :D

I never actually did much coding, I studied humanities in college, then worked as a translator. I taught myself html and css when my email group decided to put up a webpage. I now use that to tinker with epubs. I like the process of coding, but I don't have the stamina to see a project through -- like I mentioned, physical fatigue issues.

The London Fella

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
England, UK.
Yes, I do feel lucky to have been there early, though I once met a guy who said he coded computers using punch cards. Now that's the beginning, lol. And yes, I remember floppies -- I once had to load a program that came on something like 20 floppy disks! But the students the year before me had to use cassette tapes to store their data. Now, that was slooooooooooow. I don't know how they ever got any work done. Fortunately, when I took the class, the school bought floppy disks -- the 5 inch kind. :D

I never actually did much coding, I studied humanities in college, then worked as a translator. I taught myself html and css when my email group decided to put up a webpage. I now use that to tinker with epubs. I like the process of coding, but I don't have the stamina to see a project through -- like I mentioned, physical fatigue issues.
I remember my college tutor (a fantastic, and unique human being) telling me how when he started coding, it was on machines with a single line screen.

So, if you had to go find a bug, you’d literally have to scroll through the entire code along a single line to find it!

Then there are those who used to (still do?) code in machine language. Literally bits, ones & zeros. You have to be born for that, I don’t care what you say.

By the way, do you know where the term bug comes from? Before computers were digital, they were gigantic mechanical things, and bugs used to get into them, causing issues. That’s about all I remember from my college days :D.

I remember BBC Micros at school using 5 1/4” floppies, then we (ahem) upgraded to 3.5” ers at college. And yes, I used cassette tapes when loading games like Jet Set Willy on my ZX Spectrum!

But once again, good days.

I’d have the physical ability to code now, but my brain just can’t absorb information like it used to. I really wanted to learn Swift, developing apps & making millions whilst travelling the world, but that never came to fruition.

Oh well, next! :)

• Love
Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.