Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exactly where is Mac OS X compared to your expectations of where it would be by now?

• I switched to Windows out of frustration with Mac OS X.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
I'd really like to see a discussion about the way Mac OS X has evolved over the years. How far has it come in the 4,5+ years it's been out? I stumbled upon this article at Ars Technica tonight and asked myself that very question.

So, people, how far do you all think Mac OS X has come? I don't want to hear about it's future, just the progress that's been made since 10.0. How many of the issues John Siracusa points out, have been addressed in all the versions up to 10.4.3? And, maybe even more importantly, how far is 10.4.3 beyond anything people were expecting of Mac OS X since seeing the Developer Previews, the Public Beta and 10.0?

Let's see just how far Mac OS X has really come in it's 4 years, 8 months and (nearly) 2 days of existence...

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Yeah, I can't really pick one of those. I don't miss OS 9 but I also think OS X is still not there. This is because I am having problems with it at the moment.
But since OS X 10.1 it has come quite some distance, infact from California it has made it to NZ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I feel that it's quite good right now. 10.4 is what 10.1 should have been, though. There has been innovation, but closing holes has been quite often the biggest change to Mac OS X.

It seemed as if they ripped apart functionality and put it back together on a regular basis rather than designing something that works and enhancing it. Considering that Avie Tevanian made such a remark about the kernel development at NeXT and CMU in the early days of Mac OS X, it's a good thing he's away from the code editor.

With 10.4.3, I feel extremely comfortable and everything seems to be working quite well--as well as Mac OS 9.x at its best and then some.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
"About where it should be; it's progressing quite nicely."

Some features are awesome and mind boggling, but on the whole I would say it's about as expected, it's Mac OS X, after all... ;)

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand

Tiger performs the way an operating system should perform - it's intuitive and stable - but, in my opinion, it's not a 'futuristic' operating system.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Where it should be, progressing quite nicely.

I was on Jaguar on my iMac 333MHz running really slow and was a bad OS X personal experience - then, I got my iBook and OS X 10.4 Tiger was OMG awesome, Apple rocks!

Sorry but I just have to say this...

I FRICKEN' LOVE APPLE <3 <3 <3 <3 :D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
There were too many quality slips in the Tiger release for comfort, with not all even solved yet. Hopefully a little more attention is being paid to this for the next release, and that may well be the case given how careful Apple have been not to hype 10.5 features early on.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I think its progressing nicely and 10.4 has been rock solid for me. But 10.4 still almost seems like just a small transition of what is to be the big upgrade that is 10.5. I don't know why I think that way, just do.

Also were they going to show us a sneak peak of 10.5 in MWSF? I thought I heard that but it might have even been WWDC.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...

I love OS X and really did not start using it until 10.2. I thought is was great then and it just keeps getting better. When i started messing with my G3 AIO i used XPostFacto and put panther on it. Panther made it faster and it worked great. I would say that Tiger was released a little to early and it should not have come out until about 10.4.2. 10.4.3 has been really good and has been pretty good so far.

Hope to see this kind of stuff going in 10.5.

And M$ Windows can not hold a stick to mac OS X, and i have a feeling that 10.5 wil be ahead of Vista ( <-- crappy name by the way) when it finally does come out in 2010 ;)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I picked #2.. it feels LIGHT-YEARS ahead of anything else I've ever used.

Granted, one of the computers in the house still runs '95, but still!

XP just feels so clunky and horrible compared to it.

Yeah, I'm a semi-recent switcher (Sept 3, 2004) but I still feel the pain every day.. fixing XP machines, using them in state-mandated Computer class...

Mmmm, OS X, you're too good to me.

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I think that 10.4 is where it should be and progressing quite nicely... It is the nicest OS IMO (that is why I use a mac) and the only thing that even is in the same ballpark is Ubuntu/Kubuntu (also installed on my PB)... I wont even compare it to that other OS that some people use... I think it is called Windows ;) Tried it... hated it...

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
there are a few holes that need to be filled,

like maybe adding the ability to watch tv in a media center would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.