Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
So far I open up the Hard Drive Slot, The Ram Slot, Graphic Card, Take a look at the PCI slots and The Super Drive. So basically how far can I go without voiding my Warrantee? I havent get to see the CPU and check out the Power Watt yet. I notice on the fans I see screws holding it together. Should anything with screws I shouldn't touch? I may need to clean it and upgrade it someday. So was wondering how far I can go without voiding my Warrantee? Also see that the Mac Pro only have 300Watt power. Isn't this a little less? Some graphic card required 350 - 400+

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Neonguy said:
So basically how far can I go without voiding my Warrantee?
That depends entirely on how well you can put it all back together :D Really, if you don't break it in the process, it's all good.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
The general consensus seem to be that you can happily disassemble Apple computers so long as you don't damage anything in the process. I certainly don't remember reading anything in the warranty terms and conditions which state you must not disassemble the computer.

Apple seems to be better than most computer manufacturers which put "Warranty Void" stickers all over the thing so that you can't open it without breaking the seals and hence voiding the warranty. I remember helping a friend install some RAM into his new e-machines (yeah I know!) tower and it had a sticker over the side panel so he had no 'official' access to the inside of the system AT ALL, even to install memory. How messed up is that?

minimalistic

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
Santiago, Chile
So basically you can access the whole computer without voiding the warranty?

(If I want to remove dust and all that stuff some day, I wouldnt be voiding the warranty?)

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
minimalistic said:
So basically you can access the whole computer without voiding the warranty?

(If I want to remove dust and all that stuff some day, I wouldnt be voiding the warranty?)

As long as you don't use a scourer or a heat gun to remove the dust you should be fine!! :)

stapler

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
The only thing they're really anal about is the Mac mini, which they make hard to open presumably so the computer-unsavvy users that it sells to have to go to Apple to get it fixed.

scorpio8977

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2006
Kuwait
I think it all comes down to if you're going to claim on the warranty for something you broke along the way when you had the back off it. If you're "cleaning dust" and your child throws strawberry milkshake over your CPU then I doubt Apple would entertain the claim. If it all goes well then later down the line something totally unrelated goes bang you should be covered. But then again, you're never too sure until you try it, are you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.