How Far should you sit from your 27inch iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by I AM THE MAN, Jun 14, 2011.

1. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Hey everyone. Just wondering how far away should I sit from my 27" iMac. I sit about double the elbow length. However some people online have said that if your iMac is next to a wall, the radiation level is directed more towards you? I mean I know this thread seems silly, but I thought I'd ask people on this forum. So, bottom line, is it okay to be 2 elbow lengths away from your iMac and does it matter if the imac is next to a wall.

Something like this:

IMG_0014.jpg

2. rcook macrumors newbie

I sit just far enough away that I don't feel I'm at a tennis match. ;)

As far as radiation, an lcd does not use the high voltages of a crt. So the electo-magnetic radiation is significantly less.

3. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha alright. Thanks for your reply.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Just remember that in a typical house/apartment/flat lots of current is flowing all around you in the wires behind the walls. I wouldn't worry about EM radiation from the iMac.

5. caughtintheweb macrumors regular

I set the brightness to about 20% when browsing the web or reading on imac. The imac is extremely bright and gives me a headache is if I read at full brightness.

6. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I'm about arms-length from my iMac. Gives me just enough distance that I don't have to swivel my head from side to side to see the extreme edges of the display.

I also run the brightness just slightly below 50%. At full brightness the display throws off too much glare to be comfortable. The lighting in my office during the day is provided by a window. At night I have CFL lighting that provides comparable brightness.

I have read too many studies about LCD radiation levels. Although I am reading and hearing more about how cell phones are creating a higher risk of health issues.

:apple:B

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I wouldn't worry so much about LCD radiation. I'd be far more worried about Aspartame. No Diet Coke for me! :eek: