How far would the old banger take me?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by juliancs, Sep 12, 2010.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

Since I sold my MBP to fund my mac pro, I need a laptop for my second year at uni, as well as working when I go home to Singapore during my breaks.

My dad has offered to give me his old macbook as he wants to buy a new one. Seeing as I'm very tight for funds, it seems like a decent option.

However, the specs are:
    2.1GHZ C2D
    2GB ddr2 ram.

I'd install Logic, but no eastwest stuff - I'd just use built in instruments to write while I'm away, and then load it into my work station when I get home. Other than that its just presentations/emails etc, and a bit of work in Sibelius.

Could this machine handle it? I'd probably double the RAM, but even then, for what I have described, is it worth it? I have a student loan to buy a laptop, but would not mind saving 800 quid!

I wanted to play company of heroes (lowest setting are fine), but since this one is from 2007 I doubt I'd be able to.

Anyway, any thoughts?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's still a very capable machine. I would up it's ram to 4Gb (note depending on which 2007 Macbook it is, it'll only be able to use ~3.3Gb of it) and if it's hard drive is still the stock one I'd upgrade it. After that the only thing holding you back would be the 950GMA graphics.