Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Just did a typing test. I wasn't sitting in an ideal position (with it on my lap propped all funny) but I got 62WPM in a typing test on typingtest.com

I noticed my hands get way more tired typing on a touchscreen for long periods of time than hardware.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
On a decent keyboard I average around 120 wpm. On the iPad screen, I bet I get half that, or even less. It's just hard to really fly when you aren't sure what you're touching.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
I can type at roughly the same speed, but with a loss of about 10-20% accuracy. My fingers also fatigue much faster when typing on glass because there is no "recoil" that the hardware keys provide.

ephemeralreason

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2012
Just did a typing test. I wasn't sitting in an ideal position (with it on my lap propped all funny) but I got 62WPM in a typing test on typingtest.com

I noticed my hands get way more tired typing on a touchscreen for long periods of time than hardware.
Roughly 80% as fast. And I agree - it's more tiring on the glass screen than on a keyboard.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
52 wpm on a Mac keyboard. 41 wpm on my iPad. With no warm up or practice, I got higher on subsequent test.

I'm not that good obviously.

However something I noticed and found interesting. On my Macs keyboard I use all my fingers, however on my iPad I only really use my index and middle fingers on both hands and only type 11 wpm slower.

aw3524

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
160+ on a hardware keyboard, about 50 on a software keyboard. Can't shake the oddness of not feeling anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.