Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your net average words per minute?

• Total voters

wimic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
calgary, alberta
So I'm sitting here at work on my lunch break and I'm bored. I figured I'd try a typing test online. I searched for average typing speeds and I couldn't find much... so I figured what better way to get an idea of average typing speeds than to ask other people! :)

Here's a url with a 1 minute test that gives you gross and net speeds (accounging for error). My net speed (after accoungint for errors) was 82words per minute. I took a typing class in high school.

http://www.typingtest.com/test/default.asp

What's yours? Did you take a typing course?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
i was going to say "like many people on this forum quicker than my brain"

Can we have the link please?

sorry - forgot it the first time. i've edited it in :)

That is alright.

I havent done any class just lots of University work, got 58 WPM. Better than i thought.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not bad, about 60 wpm, My mind wants to think faster then the fingers can type.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Note that we had a thread using the exact same typing test about six months ago.

Linky

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I just got 59 WPM net on the Wizard of Oz one, and I can't be bothered to take it again, or to try and do better. I did take a typing class before freshman year of high school...but my typing really developed in college when I started using instant messagers. They are good for something. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Normally, we close threads that duplicate a previous thread, but in this case we'll leave it to see the poll results.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Gross: 87
Net: 85

I took a typing course in the 5th grade. :eek:

My main typo was that I wrote "Uncle Hungry" instead of "Uncle Henry." Obviously my mind is on other things...

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Meh, not too bad.

359792461_b94c4f6d69.jpg

It could always be worse. Plus, this Dell keyboard is rather difficult to type on.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
45 WPM. I'm in the 8th grade, so give me a break.:) :eek:
It's easy to find statistics about ages for peak athletic performance for well-known sports. While some athletes remain tops at their sport in their 30s (e.g., Michael Jordan was great in his 30s and David Beckham is over 30 and just signed a new contract) , a female Olympic gymnast is getting ready for the Old Folks Home by age 16.

So what's the peak age for typing speed? Do people get better with experience? At what point does aging limit their dexterity and slow them down?

Why isn't there a bigger sport-typing-statistics industry to answer these questions?

I've consistently rated over 100 wpm since I learned to type in middle school. My parents type that fast too.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
62 WPM. Still getting used to my apple keyboard, I keep somehow double pressing keys. Also worth noting that the typing test didn't show properly in firefox, had to use safari.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
"Strategic Alliances" (test)
Gross: 90WPM
Net: 86WPM (4 errors lol)

I swear I typed much faster in high school. Natural KB + AIM = 24/7 typing lesson :)

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
"Strategic Alliances" (test)
Gross: 90WPM
Net: 86WPM (4 errors lol)

I swear I typed much faster in high school. Natural KB + AIM = 24/7 typing lesson :)

That was my exact score as well. I did take a typing class in high school though, and my numbers have gone down as well. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.