How fast do you author?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Wyl, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Wyl macrumors member

Wyl

My mac pro is about 5 years old and take forever to author....

How fast does your BRAND NEW mac pro take to author?

for example, a simple one track video, with audio, and is about a 30min in total with trailer and credits.

Thank you!

2. emt377 macrumors member

What source format and encoding? Does it include capture from e.g. AVCHD? What software - FCP/FCE? Which output format - VP6, H264, etc. What audio? Who's codecs?

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I think you just confused the hell out of him or was that me you just confused :D

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

5 year old mac pro? :confused:

I think you may have confused the Mac Pro with a PowerMac G5. You need to be a little more specific with what codecs etc you are using.

5. Wyl thread starter macrumors member

Wyl

Yes, I have a Power G5. dual 2.00 with 6gb of ram. and TB's of space, very scary amount of TB.

I am work on a new project, that involves speed! I need to be able to take a helmet cam video, add opening and closing credits and burn 10 DVD's within 7-10 mins total! The videos are around 20-30 mins.

The helmet cam video is *.mov file format (H.264), 1280 x 720 res. I will be dumping the file into my Final Cut Pro, and then using DVD Studio to author the DVD; assuming that is the best package for me.

My question is more to do with; If purchasing a new computer will speed up what i am doing to accomplish my task.

If anyone could provide some insight... it would be much appreciated.

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Without looking into anything in detail just the DVD burning will need a Mac Pro to use multiple optical drives. I suspect you will need several networked machines for that narrow time frame or use dedicated automated or manual multiple end units for duplication.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Wyl thread starter macrumors member

Wyl

burning 10 dvd's at the same time is not my problem.

my problem is getting the video to the computer, and author the DVD... within 7-10 min.

Wil

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

If you're talking about a substantial chunk of video, forget about it. Encoding or re-encoding - since that's what we're talking about - takes a fairly long time, dependent on original footage, encoding parameters, and horsepower yoked to the task. The fastest way to prep anything for DVD burning is to have all your cores hit it at the same time in compressor. Yes, you can possibly do what you desire in that time frame, but more importantly than the faster computer you will need is the comprehension of the task at hand and how to prepare it. I suggest you read up on compressor, clustering, and so forth.

Also, another hint: If you're burning it to a DVD, you don't need to shoot in HD. In fact, that will probably only slow you down in the end. DVDs are standard definition, not 720p.

9. Wyl thread starter macrumors member

Wyl

Thank you for your quick response!

As for encoding or de-cording will be at the mercy of the camera that we choose. There are a few POV cams, for example Sony, and ContourHD seem to have the best products... The Sony camera uses AVCHD with a GOP codec. and the ContourHD uses H.264 codec.

Knowing that i am having trouble finding the technology to take that video and make DVD's to sell.

Any other suggestions? I am open to any idea.

Wil

10. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

You've missed an important fact: Whatever compression the camera is using, you will need to re-encode it in order to burn it to the DVD. That's what's taking so long, not DVD burning. DVDs require non-muxed (separate audio and video layers) MPEG-2 compression that you will need to perform on the mac (again, using the Compressor app with all of your available cores is fastest).

Also, it's worth pointing out that AVCHD is H.264. That's just the name for the video standard that uses H.264 video and AAC audio compression in a small, efficient footprint. The downside to this is that editing takes longer, but since you're just punting it out to DVD that doesn't matter. You have to transfer to the mac, re-encode to DVD, then burn. A faster computer will speed up the DVD encoding, but I would encourage you to learn how to use compressor in the meantime if speed is very important to you - it's the only way to maximize performance.

So here are the steps you'd want to use to go at maximum speed:

1) Log and transfer footage into FCP.

2) Export as quicktime movie. Don't compress or convert.

3) Open the resulting movie in compressor. Use Qmaster to create a cluster or quickcluster that uses all of your available CPUs. Have compressor compress the video to one of 's DVD presets made for speed (they're titled as such), using the cluster you made.

4) Import the .m2v and .ac3 assets you've just created into DVDSP. Create your DVD as before.

5) Burn.

I really don't know what maximum speed you can attain on your machine, because I've never clustered with compressor on a G5. But a mac pro, properly configured, may be able to do this in the timeframe you require.

If I can ask, why do you need it so quick?

11. Wyl thread starter macrumors member

Wyl

Glad you asked!! The project is to sell a DVD to guests before they leave a facility.

The guests go out on tour for 30 mins. When they come back, and it takes them about 7-10mins to change and come to the front desk.

We would like to setup a photo and video booth to sell, (a la rollercoster kiosk). Selling photos are easy enough, just print them and show them. The we need the DVD to preview and sell as well.

:)

12. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I figured it was something like that. Might I suggest, if replacing the hardware and developing a new workthrough is too bothersome/costly, offering to have it for them if they wait, or optionally mailing it to them? Places like this I've been to - whitewater rafting places - did it that way.

13. Wyl thread starter macrumors member

Wyl

I am fortunate that i currently have no budget. I have given free reign to develop and design this. This is a small part of a very, very big project.

I will have to come up with alternatives as well. I was thinking of giving them an SD card with a low res video, and then ship the DVD to them later.. But grandma and grandpa does not know what to do with an SD card. And second, the clientele is international and will be difficult to sell them a DVD with shipping costs.

I really appreciate the help!!

Thank you,

14. rylin macrumors 6502

I'd like to point out (as it's not clear from your posts what your actual process is) that you don't actually have to author a special full length vid for each customer.

Since it's a DVD, you should be able to just have it split up into three parts: intro, content, outro.
    The intro and outro are presumably static content (i.e., doesn't change from customer to customer), which means all you need to do is reencode the helmet cam vid.

Depending on the length of the intro/outro, you could be saving some precious time.
    Even in the event that the intro/outro are not static, you should be able to start encoding those parts before the customer sets out on whatever adventure we're talking about.

15. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Just to clarify, does each DVD have to individual to each client? or is it the one DVD of the '30 minute experience' for all?

16. Wyl thread starter macrumors member

Wyl

It is one DVD for all the guests. I was planning on pre-authoring the intro and outro in Compressor.

Then i should be able to drop all 3 three files in DVDSP and burn 10 copies at the same time.

I currently do not have the full FCP sudio version, and cam so i am unable to test this. Hopfully in the next week i will be able to get the software and just testing cameras.

17. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

For what you are trying to do, using a computer to capture, edit, encode, author and burn is impractical no matter how fast the machine. There's simply not enough time for all the steps required.

You need to do as much realtime work as possible. Your best option is to use a computer for your titles and graphics and run that, along with a camera feed into a video mixer and mix the video on the fly. Then output that into a standalone dvd burner and record in realtime. Then you should have time left to make a few copies with a fast tower duplicator.

Your other option is to "fake" the video you are selling and have people sign up and mail it to them later. Just record a few seconds of whatever you are trying to sell, make a quick edit with your fancy intro or whatever and just run everything out of FCP as a preview for the clients. Worry about making the actual DVD later.

18. giffut macrumors 6502

A ...

... cost sensitive workaround would be to borrow/built a quadcore PC (running http://ffmpeg.org/ or ffmpegx if you are keen on building a hackintosh) and let it do all the conversion work and preparing the final MPEG2 files to be used for DVD Studio. Your G5 is not and will never be adequate at all in dealing with H.264 video content, period. You can use it to author the resulting MPEG2 files, but NOT utilizing compressor - this smacks your time consumption to the roof, up in the sky and beyond.

Burning 10 DVDs in a row requires ten DVD burner drives, so you can get decent quality (max. 4x burn speed is recommended for best long term reliability) in reasonable time.

You should consider to give the option to transfer the H.264 source to SD sticks and/or DVD for people so they can use it for their personal memorial video work at home.

19. Wyl thread starter macrumors member

Wyl

My actual, original question still has not be answered.

How long does it take your new Mac Pro to author a 40 minute video?

The current video i am evaluating is H.264 compression, GOP Codec, 1280x720 resolution.

I am only looking for an average time. :)

20. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Compared to your dual core G5 an octo core 2009 Mac Pro, given enough memory and HD speed would probably be like 5-10x faster, if not more. G5s are really bad at h264 encoding.

21. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

[​IMG]

with the Elgato Turbo.264 HD and a fast 2009 Octad you may be able to accelerate by a factor of 20-30.

22. giffut macrumors 6502

I ...

... think he means transcoding H.264 material to MPEG2 compliant via compressor, which is quite the opposite of what the Elgato Turbo HD is doing.

Let´s try an individual benchmark: Anyone with Compressor (standard quality) / ffmpegX (DVD ffmpeg preset) and a Mac Pro or a Powermac G5, please transcode this 720p trailer (which should be similar to the material the thread starter is using) to MPEG2/AC3 and post the overall time it took to complete the task here with us: http://movies.apple.com/movies/wb/sherlockholmes/sherlockholmes-tlr2_720p.mov

At the moment I only can give timings for ffmpegX: 119 seconds.

My machine is a hackintosh 2,8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, 10.5.7 (Geekbench 3998).

23. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

There is this.

http://barefeats.com/harper.html

24. Wyl thread starter macrumors member

Wyl