How fast does the iphone 6 (not plus) charge with an ipad charger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel Quell, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Daniel Quell macrumors member

I was reading that using and ipad air charger will decrease the charging time by about an hour on the 6 plus.

Out of curiosity has anyone clocked how long it takes the iphone 6 regular to charge with an ipad charger?

I'd assume that it would take only an hour or less to charge to 100%. That is sort of a big deal.

Thanks everyone for the help.

2. Daniel Quell thread starter macrumors member

3. BriOS macrumors member

Very fast. From 0 to hero(100%) in probably 30 minutes. Its worth it all day long to use the ipad charger with it. I do everyday.

4. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

I'm using the 12W iPad charger and I can get it to charge from less than 20% to 100% in approximately 2.5 hours.

Seriously? Stop trolling.

5. BriOS macrumors member

Nobody trolling here. Thats what I see. I plugged mine in to the regular charger last night when it was at 50%, and it charged to 100% by the time I got my two kids teeth brushed, put PJs on and tucked into bed. Maybe 45 minutes. And again this was on the iphone charger, not ipad charger. Somethings wrong with your phone. Id make a genius bar appointment son if I were you.

6. Daniel Quell thread starter macrumors member

Do you have the iphone 6 or the 6 plus. Your sig says you have an iphone 5s and I'm not sure if the 5s takes advantage of the fast charging. If you have the 6 plus than that is about correct.

7. BriOS macrumors member

That is totally correct. This only works on 6 and 6plus.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

My rule of thumb is that it gains about 1% per minute with the iPad chargers until it hits ~70% at which point it begins to taper and the charge slows a bit. While I haven't timed it per se, it seems to take ~1.5 hours to fully charge.

9. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. Daniel Quell thread starter macrumors member

That seems a little strange considering. With the regular charger it should take about 2 hours according to anandtech.

[​IMG]

"Fortunately, based on the USB device information for the phones, both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus support charging with power adapters like the iPad charging block that can provide up to 2.1 amps at five volts. Using one of these chargers will dramatically reduce charge time on the new iPhones, and it's a very worthwhile investment (assuming you don't already have an iPad) for the iPhone 6 Plus in particular." anandtech iPhone 6 Review

Considering that test was done with the regular iphone charger it seems fair to believe it would be much faster to charge. I've also have read about test that show an hour less charge on the 6 plus when using the ipad charger. Perhaps there is something else going on with the 6 plus that is preventing it?

12. ROLLTIDE1, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

From 1% to 100% in 1 hour and 30 mins tested yesterday:D 12w charger

13. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

Hey grand son, I'm charging from way below 50% as you described. You didn't specify your initial battery in the first place.

Totally trolling.

My aplogies for the confusion. I'll update my sig momentarily. I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Gold one.

14. PegasusTenma macrumors regular

PegasusTenma

15. Daniel Quell thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, 2.5 hours is correct then. If you were using the charger that came with the 6 plus it would take 45 minutes to an hour longer. Not convinced the guy was trolling although 1.5 hours seems about right.

P.S. I'm asking specifically about the regular iphone 6. Not the 6 plus. Thanks.

16. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

1.8 hrs from 20% to 100% using the 5W iPhone charger.

Plus and minus an hour from 20% to 100% using the 12W iPad charger.

My old man has the iPhone 6.

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

Curious if you are shortening the battery longevity doing this; on one hand a device should only charge at the maximum rate safe for the device, but on the other hand if devices are charging much faster, then that indicates otherwise and damage may be being done to the battery long term.

Personally I'd stick with the standard iPhone charger.

18. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

I doubt it.

The 12W power adapter is listed as a valid charging accessory for the iPhone at Apple.com.

19. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

They probably should have given us iPad chargers.

My iPhone 6 Plus seems to charge quicker than the included adapter through the USB port on my rMBP.

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1785460&highlight=ipad+charger

Read the above

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

On the iPhone 6, using the iPad chargers doesn't charge the battery faster - the maximum current going into the battery is the same between all chargers. What the 10 or 12w charger does is allow additional headroom to power the device such that the battery can take a full 5w, but if the device needs extra power, it can get it from the iPad chargers. This will have the effect of reducing the total charging time because you are not sharing the 5w between charging the battery and powering the device, as was the case with older iPhone versions.

The 6+ is different in that it can actually take more power in the battery.

22. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I think as long as you are not actively using it while it's charging on the iPad charger then it should be fine. I think there might be a overheating/fire risk associated when using the device and charging it with the iPad charger.

23. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

That's incorrect, both the iPhone 6 Plus and the iPhone 6 can charge at faster rates than the 5S and older models. MacRumors did an article on it after a fellow member and others have reported that both support faster charging with the iPad charger.

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Read the link that you yourself posted. I was one of the people doing the testing that resulted in that article. My above comments are accurate.

25. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Seems like I missed your later contribution to the thread and your other post in another thread. So just to clarify, you're basically saying that the iPhone 6 charges the battery at the same rate as the iPhone 5S does when the 5S is turned off - it reaches a cap of 6W regardless of whether the screen is turned on or off. Whereas the 5S will reduce it's battery draw/charge rate when the screen is being used?