How fast does your Mac OS X start? (Or Pre-Mac OS X)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LOLZpersonok, Aug 28, 2012.

1. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I didn't see a thread for this nor did I find any thread that had to do with this topic when I ran a search of it. I also believe this thread fits best here since it includes Intel Macs and PowerPC Macs. Or AMD Macs if you really did modify it good enough.

Don't forget to specify whether or not you've got an SSD or HDD. Post full machine specifications if you want.

My HP Netbook, surprisingly has the fastest boot time of all my machines, which is 7 seconds under Windows 8, but if it's booting into Windows 7, it's put into third place with 26 seconds. It's only got a 160GB Hard Disk Drive. But that's a bit off topic here I think.

My Mac, a PowerPC G4 Mac is in second place of all my computers, with a boot up speed of 13 seconds, believe it or not. It's got a 120GB hard drive that runs at 7200RPM.

What's your boot speed? :apple:

2. Dechter macrumors member

I get the desktop loaded in 15 seconds, another 5 seconds for all helper apps, and yet another 5 seconds for Dropbox to connect and for my NAS to mount. So, from when I press the power button to when the Finder is idle and waiting is 25 seconds.

MBP 13" Mid-2010 2.4 C2D, OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD, OS X 10.8.1

3. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

That's not bad considering the average Mac startup time is about 18 seconds and my main computer (Running Windows XP) takes nearly a minute to boot.

My Mac probably starts so fast because it's got very few programs on it.

4. stchman macrumors 6502a

I have a MBA with 128GB SSD and it boots to the login screen in 12 seconds.

5. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

MBP 13" Dual 512GB SSD's I reach login screen in 2 seconds.

6. ADMProducer macrumors regular

I find that really hard to believe. Nevermind :rolleyes:

My MBP 13" with an OCZ Agility 3 128 GB boots in about 12 seconds.

7. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

its in RAID configuration read speed is 980MB/s

8. ADMProducer macrumors regular

Ahh. I stand corrected then! :eek:

9. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

It's possible. I've seen several Windows 8 PC's with SSD's that belong to my friends start to lock screen/metro interface on average of about 3-6 seconds (Windows 7 I'd say with SSD is about 15 Seconds on average). I've also seen some of my friend's SSD Macs start in 3-6 seconds, my friend has a brand new iMac with a custom SSD that starts in usually 6 seconds.

----------

I wonder how my PowerMac G4 MDD would perform with an SSD...

10. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Sheesh, i thought mine was fast!

I put a Crucial M4 in my white macbook 2,1 and it boots snow leopard in 15 seconds fully.

Its was an immense improvement over the 7200 rpm i had in it before. Boots at least 60% faster

11. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Still don’t believe you. The EFI process on that Mac takes longer than 2 seconds, let alone the rest of the boot times. It isn’t just data access that causes the startup delay.

12. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Fine don't when I have the time I can video it I am timing from after the chime at power on.

You may have to remind me as my game project is taking a lot of time getting FPS right in virtual machines.