Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
How bad is the lag or is there any at all compared to running it on windows natively?

Will my system perform better if I get 8 Gb ram instead of the standard 4gb ona 17 inch MBP?

Will an SSD improve performance for Fusion/office running via fusion?

Thanks! :)

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
If you're wanting to use Office for Windows (as opposed to Office for Mac), Fusion will run it just fine... even with half the RAM you have. Getting an upgrade really wouldn't be necessary as Office isn't that demanding of a program -- I think you'd be fine with what you have.

You may want to consider getting Office for Mac or iWork though. Ultimately, that's up to you, but it may be easier than having to run Fusion each time you want to simply use Word.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
If you're wanting to use Office for Windows (as opposed to Office for Mac), Fusion will run it just fine... even with half the RAM you have. Getting an upgrade really wouldn't be necessary as Office isn't that demanding of a program -- I think you'd be fine with what you have.

You may want to consider getting Office for Mac or iWork though. Ultimately, that's up to you, but it may be easier than having to run Fusion each time you want to simply use Word.

i would use those programs, but I need Onenote.

STXSTEVE

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
Colorado
i would use those programs, but I need Onenote.

I run Access in VMware fusion all day long, sharing both cores and giving it only 512 of ram off of my 17inch 2.6Ghz MBP.. However, if you only need one note it is on the Mac version of office. Open up a word doc and in the bottom left hand corner click the view with page lines. Should be the first one on the right.

Hope this helps!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
I run Access in VMware fusion all day long, sharing both cores and giving it only 512 of ram off of my 17inch 2.6Ghz MBP.. However, if you only need one note it is on the Mac version of office. Open up a word doc and in the bottom left hand corner click the view with page lines. Should be the first one on the right.

Hope this helps!

:confused:

Are you referring to Notebook view within Word, or Notenote (the standalone program)?

I really wish it was the latter, but to my understanding, MS Office for mac does not have Onenote.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Correct. Microsoft doesn't make a OneNote for Mac, although Word has a template that makes it look like a notepad.

Unfortunately, if you need the collaborative tools and other features of OneNote, that doesn't help. :(

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Correct. Microsoft doesn't make a OneNote for Mac, although Word has a template that makes it look like a notepad.

Unfortunately, if you need the collaborative tools and other features of OneNote, that doesn't help. :(

Precisely.

The thing I would consider most helpful is the ability to sync and audio recording with your notes, and then parse through the audio later with a textual keyword. That is just brilliant imo. I haven't found a mac program yet that can do that, and even if I did I would probably still need onenote to collaborate with others.

fpar

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Try Pear Note, its an os x app that allows you to sync audio with your notes. Its not as full featured as one note but might be worth a try to save the hassle of running fusion all the time. I believe you can get a free trial.

STXSTEVE

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
Colorado
Precisely.

The thing I would consider most helpful is the ability to sync and audio recording with your notes, and then parse through the audio later with a textual keyword. That is just brilliant imo. I haven't found a mac program yet that can do that, and even if I did I would probably still need onenote to collaborate with others.

So in office for mac you can sync audio to your notes and then separate later if you want.... By parse through the audio later with a textual keyword do you mean search the recording by text phrase.. If so i do not think you can do that on the Mac version least i have not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.