How fast is Intel phasing out SANTA ROSA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CommodityFetish, Mar 9, 2008.

1. CommodityFetish macrumors regular

CommodityFetish

So we've seen how Intel's phasing out of Merom chips pushed Apple into upgrading the Macbook to Penryn sooner than they might have.

So now my question is, how quickly will Intel phase out the Santa Rosa platform when the Montevina platform arrives in June?

Is there any data from Intel on that? If so that would indicate how quickly Apple will need to update their laptops.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

intel does whatever apple tells them to, dont listen to what anyone else says

3. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Regardless of when Intel phases out Santa Rosa, Apple is going to have to update soon in order to keep up with PC manufacturers.

WWDC conveniently happens to be about 1 week after Intel's launch of Montevina.

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

It's very much the other way around I'm afraid. Intel dictates what chips come out when and at what price. Intel is currently accelerating its product map in an attempt to starve AMD in the PC market. Apple has no choice but to take what is offered at any time. The MBA processor is more like a gift from Intel to Apple. On top of that its nothing amazing from a processor design point of view.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

Indeed, Apple does whatever Sony, HP, Dell etc do. It has no choice.

6. CommodityFetish thread starter macrumors regular

CommodityFetish

It took Apple a long time to get Santa Rosa into the MB. I hope they adopt Montevina across their whole laptop line right away. If we knew Intel was phasing out Santa Rosa in a hurry, then that would help predict how quickly Apple will have to make the move to Montevina.

The June dates do bode well! :)

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Anyone who values OSX already thinks Apple is way ahead of the PC manufacturers. Anyone who doesn't has already bought a PC.

8. CommodityFetish thread starter macrumors regular

CommodityFetish

Ah, found it... :cool:

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/N...000000000000000000000000004779&query=CENTRINO

"The Santa Rosa Refresh platform with 45nm Penryn processors will account for around 31% of shipments in the first quarter, and will grow to 45% in the second quarter. In the third quarter, the ratio will drop to around 20%, and by year-end the platform will account for only 4%."

Looks like the 3rd quarter (July, Aug, Sept, right?) is a likely window to see Santa Rosa leave the Apple line-up. That's good news. So there's a good chance the line up will be refreshed again before the back to school sales end in Sept.

9. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't go ahead and generalize with that statement :rolleyes:

I value OSX and Apple's work, yet I only ordered my first Mac today.

PCs aren't actually that bad, anyways.