Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phonitron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
I'd like to know how fast the new MBP (not the retina model) is when booting from USB 3.0 - has anybody tried yet?

I'd specifically like to know how it compares to FW800 and the stock 5400rpm drive. Anyone willing to give it a test?

Thanks guys!

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
I'd like to know how fast the new MBP (not the retina model) is when booting from USB 3.0 - has anybody tried yet?

I'd specifically like to know how it compares to FW800 and the stock 5400rpm drive. Anyone willing to give it a test?

Thanks guys!

How do you mean by boot? Like install the OS on the USB then boot from it?

phonitron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
How do you mean by boot? Like install the OS on the USB then boot from it?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Apologies for not being totally specific about that in my first post. Just desperate to get my question posted!

Thanks!

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Apologies for not being totally specific about that in my first post. Just desperate to get my question posted!

Thanks!

IIRC, USB3 has high throughput for sequential reading, but has latency for random access, so I suspect it would not be great as a boot option if the new MBPs even support it. (Though I imagine you could use rEFIt.)

phonitron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
IIRC, USB3 has high throughput for sequential reading, but has latency for random access, so I suspect it would not be great as a boot option if the new MBPs even support it. (Though I imagine you could use rEFIt.)

Thanks! I'd not heard of rEFIt but thanks to the power of search I'm now fully aware! Ultimately what I would like to do is get hold of one of the latest standard MBP configurations, but with the hi-res anti-glare screen to replace my old trusty G4. I'd planned on using it mainly docked to a USB 3.0 hard drive but was considering installing OS X on the USB 3.0 HD if it had been fast enough. I suppose thunderbolt would be fast enough to boot from but it's a little pricey right now. I'll probably just get a Crucial M4 128GB SSD, and just copy across any files (mainly photographs/videos/tracks) that I need at the time, with everything else simply stored on the USB 3.0 HD

I could also opt for a 1TB internal drive too of course...

How would you guys proceed? I have gigabit ethernet and wireless n too so could store things on my freeNAS box. Basically I have a massive amount of photos/music and ripped DVDs etc. Hope this makes sense!

Ahhhhrgh so many options!

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks! I'd not heard of rEFIt but thanks to the power of search I'm now fully aware! Ultimately what I would like to do is get hold of one of the latest standard MBP configurations, but with the hi-res anti-glare screen to replace my old trusty G4. I'd planned on using it mainly docked to a USB 3.0 hard drive but was considering installing OS X on the USB 3.0 HD if it had been fast enough. I suppose thunderbolt would be fast enough to boot from but it's a little pricey right now. I'll probably just get a Crucial M4 128GB SSD, and just copy across any files (mainly photographs/videos/tracks) that I need at the time, with everything else simply stored on the USB 3.0 HD

I could also opt for a 1TB internal drive too of course...

How would you guys proceed? I have gigabit ethernet and wireless n too so could store things on my freeNAS box. Basically I have a massive amount of photos/music and ripped DVDs etc. Hope this makes sense!

Ahhhhrgh so many options!

If you're going to be buying after market hard drive, i'd get the retina base model and use freenas. if you buy the new MBP hi-res, you're looking at $1899. Upgrade to 8GB is $50 or so. The crucial SSD is $150 or so but 128 really is not enough.

Anyway, if you add it up, you're spending $2099 for a machine that has almost no advantages over a $2199 retina other than a couple of ports.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.