How fast is the 2.8 MBP 15er?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vyruz Reaper, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

Like everyone else i was hoping today was the day for the new MBP announcement

Unlike everyone else im not going to bitch as to why its not here. I need a laptop badly, my netbook is not cutting it for me. I sold my alienware with a 2.8 C2D and 6GB Ramm and 7200rpm HD. Im ready to buy NOW...

So..

I recently got a MBP from my gf at 999 for student pricing. It was a great deal and it works for her. But playing with her laptop showed me that the lower end 13inch is way too slow for me from launching apps, to photo editing etc.

My school has the 2.8 15 inchMBP on sale for 1899. Thats 400 off of the normal price. Its a little more than what i wanted to spend. I would have liked to spend around 1600-1700, but it seems like a good deal. Idealy i would have spent 1899or lower on the new i-core chips but will the 2.8 be fast enough to last me at least 3 years? Im also a little skeptical about the stock 5400 rpm drive, as I have only owned 7200rpm over the past 5 years. If i were to upgrade to the SSD or 7200 then the cost will go even higher and I cant afford that.

So it terms of speed compared to my alienware M17x, how does it stand. I dont game anymore so i dont care about that, I just want to be able to launch apps immediatly without lag, multitask between chrome with 6 or 7 tabs open, itunes, ms office, downlaod stuff, etc without any lag. My alienware could handle it on windows 7. will the 2.8 MBP be able to do it too on OSX?

thanks in advance

2. silverite macrumors newbie

I have the 2.2g GHz 13 inch MBP and I honestly do not find it slow at all. All I do is have word or page documents open, firefox with multiple tabs open (browser games, youtube) and stream tv shows. And I do not find that there is any real lag in those activities.

You can try to upgrade the RAM and the Hardrive on a lower end mac if you want to save money?

3. aberrero macrumors 6502a

The refreshed MBP 13 will essentailly be the same speed as a 2.8ghz C2D, assuming they ever actually release it.

4. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

I wish i was like you. I have built a real sensitivity to slowness on laptops ater being spoiled with some fast machines(XPS m1730 decked out and my alienware m17x)

I know you cant get that power into smaller notebooks, but most of their space was due to the dedicated graphics card running in sli. I dont game so i dont care. Honestly, i feel the 9400 is ok for most of what i do except video editing, which I dont do much of. Photo editing is OK on the 9400(my alienware had dual 280GTX SLI AND a 9400m for when i turned those off to save power so i have some experience with the 9400m)

If i am spending 1500+, i want to be happy. I dont want to pay restocking fee, and no one has the 2.8 MBP so i can borrow it for a day. Maybe i should wait then... sigh back in the same circle i was before

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Photo editing is not any faster on a 280GTX than a 9400M.
    Why so many people think that graphic cards optimized for 3D rendering helps 2D editing is to me a mystery.

Video editing is also fine on the 9400M, most video editing task doesn't use GPU either unless you're into Motion or After Effects.

The difference in real world usage of a low end macbook pro and your Alienware would be about 20%, max. And the 2.8GHz MBP will be equal to the Alienware.

Ofc, HD speed and RAM is huge factors in everyday usage.
    A SSD in a 2 GHz single core will launch apps faster than a 2.8GHz dual core.

6. aberrero macrumors 6502a

A fast video card lets you do GPU encoding which does actually speed up video editing. Also, Photoshop is now 3D accelerated. A fast video card is more important than ever, although the 9400GM should in theory be up to the task.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes 3D accelerated, when you use 3D objects in Photoshop.
    A fast video card doesn't let you GPU decode, the software has to be written for it.
    For photoshop use there are virtually no difference between those cards.