Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrandonSi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago, IL
Obviously it's faster, but has anyone actually checked how much faster? I'd like to switch my main box to the console app but I don't want to lose all the work I've done on this WU.. Is there a way to do that, or should I just bite the bullet and lose the current WU?

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
BrandonSi said:
Obviously it's faster, but has anyone actually checked how much faster? I'd like to switch my main box to the console app but I don't want to lose all the work I've done on this WU.. Is there a way to do that, or should I just bite the bullet and lose the current WU?

I'm guessing you're talking about folding@home...
Yes, the non-GUI version is muc, much faster. Wait until you finish this WU, then switch. Simple as that.

llama :)

BrandonSi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago, IL
Flying Llama said:
I'm guessing you're talking about folding@home...
Yes, the non-GUI version is muc, much faster. Wait until you finish this WU, then switch. Simple as that.

llama :)

Thank you for your wisdom mr. llama :)

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
or stop the WU, copy the files:
- queu.dat
- work (folder)
- unitinfo.txt
- FAHlog.txt
Uninstall folding completely, install the console version and answer the standard questions (the configuration routine). Then stop the console version, because it already started folding on a new WU and replace the new files which it has created (named the same as the 4 above) with the ones you copied. It should go further with the old WU.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Not being to familiar with the console I've been using InCrease that works really fast and stays in the background. It even keeps running after I log out at the end of the day (at work) or night (at home) I just recently installed it on my new G5 X-serve (dual 2.3 ghz 520gb mirrored drives with 4gb RAM) and it's doing 50-60point GROMACs in about 7 to 8 hours each, well 2 at a time so I'm crunching about 100 points in 8 hours with it.

You can get it here:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16999

And yes I'm catching you dreadnought I'm now at 143 and climbing fast:D

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Sparky, I have my G5 on a time switch to reduce power consumption. It only folds when it's on (obviously), so that's about 6-7 hours a day. So, now is your chance to come close to me! Overtaking me is a whole different story!! :D Also, does increase come in a dual proc setup and does it/folding start automatically at startup?

How much faster the console version is Vs. the GUI client is hard to say. It really depends on how fast your Mac is. If you have an older Mac (say G3) then it's a significant difference. You have a bit of overhead on your proc of the images, which aren't completely for the Graphics card. Your proc also has to process it, giving a bit of overhead. My G3 400 Mhz B&W had a lot of this overhead with the GUI client. Increase will also give a bit, but less, overhead.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Dual InCrease version

Dreadnought, I just installed InCrease (Dual version) on the X-serve a few days ago and it kicks A**. I goes through 50-60 point GROMACS in less than 10 hours. tonight i checked my status before leaving work and I was #140 but the time I got home I was #139. I think I've gained one or two positions a day since getting the server folding:D when we get the company squared away I will have 2 additional DELLs up and folding and 2 more Macs in the fray for a total of 9 CPUs doing Folding. But you're right about passing.... it's like a NASCAR race you can catch em, but passing another story..;) but we'll see:rolleyes:

A simple solution to running a console app in the background would be to use GNU screen.

Install darwinports (make sure you update .profile to include $PATH:/opt/local/bin and stuff like that) and simply do `sudo port install screen', then

screen command-line-app

and simply close the window. if you want to check on it later, simply type in `screen -r'.

Ctrl-C while in the session to kill it. Useful for other things like irssi, compiling things in the background that will take a while, etc.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
InCrease seems to be working fine I went from #139 to #132 in 3 days using it on all my machines :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.