How fast is the G-Connect by G-Technology?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smellalot, Apr 24, 2014.

1. smellalot macrumors 6502

Hi,

I can't find any information on this hard drive's speed.

To me this looks like the NAS I am looking for. At home it'll be accessible through my home network and on the go I'll just take all my files with me. Much better than the usual NAS or external hard drive - for me at least.

So does anyone know the file copy speed when it is connected through gigabit ethernet? I'll reformat it to Apple's HFS+.
    When used as an external USB drive, is it powered through USB or do I need a power brick in that use case also?

Any information will be greatly appreciated since this is the kind of device I've been looking for quite some time now. I also know of the Corsair Voyager Air. But this is a bit pricey for my liking. Also I don't need the built in battery.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its specs show that it supports WiFi: 802.11 b/g/n

So its not all that fast, you'll get better performance from a NAS connected to the router via ethernet

I think real world connection speeds are around 25 to 150 MB/s

3. smellalot thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have one and can test the speed? Because as I wrote in my first post, I'm planning to connect it via GigE. 25 MB/s would be OK, although faster is always better :D

4. g4cube macrumors 6502a

This would be a poor investment unless you are getting it for free. Even at $49 clearance price at Frys, these are sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Here is one of several reviews criticizing the product:
    http://www.cnet.com/products/g-technology-g-connect/

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, I just saw the specs on their website :)