How fast is Wireless N on a Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by deafgoose, Nov 28, 2011.

1. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

My ISP recently announced 120mpbs cable internet.

I am currently getting 60mbps and I am interested in upgrading to their 120mbps but I don't think my Apple Time Machine Wireless N is fast enough to keep up.

How can I test my Wireless N speeds?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The wired portion of your Time Capsule can certainly keep up, but wired you will likely only see around 100Mbps on a compatible wireless N device.

3. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can reach above 120Mbs with my lateest gen time capsule and my early 2011 mbp wirelessly. (pure internet) the home network is around 300Mbs. (stream ofcourse) Speeds are quite fast since my mbp and the latest gen time capsule is because they both have 3 antennas. So theres no problem.

4. deafgoose thread starter macrumors regular

deafgoose

Interesting. I am not sure what generation I have.

It's the 1TB version so I doubt it has 3 antenna's.

5. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I recently did a read/write speed test on the hard drive that's attached to my AirPort Extreme. It was getting around 10 MB/s for both. Of course, over a wireless network there are a number of variables to consider, but I did the test right next to the router. 120 Mb/s is about 15 MB/s. Hope this helps a little.

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Generation 3 (previous version) and gen. 4 (current) both have 3 antennas. The hardware in G4 TCs is basically unchanged, other than the brand and capacity of harddrives, and higher performance WiFi daughtercards installed. You get better range on the G4 and higher performance at lower signal strengths, but other than that they're comparable.