How fast should my initial TM backup be with Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JW008, Mar 5, 2008.

1. JW008 macrumors 6502

So after a couple of failed attempts to backup 65 GB over my N network (my iMac kept dropping the connection...), I finally hooked it up via ethernet to complete the first back up.

After finally realizing I had to connect to the Time Capsule network (even though it's no longer plugged into my cable modem) for it to even recognize the Time Capsule, I started the initial backup. It's taking about 10 minutes per gigabyte. Is that normal? I just assumed I would get better speeds than that...

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I had about 35GB to back up on mine and it took about 3 hours so your speeds are correct.

3. slippytoad macrumors member

I had 126GB and it took 10.5 hours over directly connected gigabit ethernet. That's 5 mins per GB.

4. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

Mine is 612.91 GB of initial backup in 34 hours... :( I wish it is faster than this.

5. ascender macrumors 68000

Yip, same here, I had about 300Gb to do and it took ageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

It depends on the Mac, I think, my 08 MacPro was roughly 30GB per hour, over cable, nothing else going on.... just the TC and MacPro. The system monitor indicated that the disc read rate maxes out at 10MB per second. Other Macs may be slower or faster, but look at the disc read rate and do the math, add maybe 10-20% for overhead to get a rough estimate of how long it will take.

7. WHM macrumors regular

1 st Backup

I just purchased the new MacBook Pro last week. My old laptop had maybe 3 migrations from former computers, so I did a clean install and moved things like iPhone and iTunes via firewire. After dumping a lot of old junk my HD had 50 Gm. Took 3 1/2 hours and it has backed up maybe 4 times since Tuesday when I installed Time Capsule.:apple:

8. Fahadeen macrumors newbie

I just copied a 1 GB video from my MBP to my TC, it took 2 minutes. Not sure if the initial back up would take the same though

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Lucky! My 80GB backup took 48hours. Imagine 612.91! :eek: