How fast your MacBook boots with SSD ?

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
:confused:hello...
How fast your ML boots ? on Mac Book / MBP ??

just wondering..

i have 13" MacBook , C2D, 8GB RAM. just installed 250 SSD (OCZ AGILITY 3 ) and my MB takes 31 sec. to boot to get the logging prompt.

The moment i type my password, it brings the Desktop in1 sec.

Now, i had 4GB and 500GB 7200 RPM HDD and belive me, it was taking almost the same to boot.
Is that a good boot-up? just curious to know.

SSD does work fast , when i have to copy 500MB from USB to SSD. also all the softwares get installed quickly...

Any thoughts ??

thebritishguy

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011

just wondering..

i have 13" MacBook , C2D, 8GB RAM. just installed 250 SSD (OCZ AGILITY 3 ) and my MB takes 31 sec. to boot to get the logging prompt.

Now, i had 4GB and 500GB 7200 RPM HDD and belive me, it was taking almost the same to boot.

SSD does work fast , when i have to copy 500MB from USB to SSD. also all the softwares get installed quickly...

Any thoughts ??
When i installed my SSD for the first time I found I had slow boot times, this was fixed by going to System preferences-startup disk, selecting the SSD as the startup disk and rebooting.

Not saying this will deffo fix your issue but it did for me

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
SSD does work fast , when i have to copy 500MB from USB to SSD.
As you've got a C2D, you're using USB 2.0, and therefore there's no chance your SSD is performing any faster than a HDD at copying files.

As for the main question, I have to say 31 seconds is slow. Perhaps you have a lot of desktop items? Also repair permissions.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
When i installed my SSD for the first time I found I had slow boot times, this was fixed by going to System preferences-startup disk, selecting the SSD as the startup disk and rebooting.

Hu,,,. i just checked..and i only have one SSD, and its selected by default as startup disk.

Is there any other fine tune to be done with SSD?

Thanks.

----------

As you've got a C2D, you're using USB 2.0, and therefore there's no chance your SSD is performing any faster than a HDD at copying files.

As for the main question, I have to say 31 seconds is slow. Perhaps you have a lot of desktop items? Also repair permissions.
Thanks..
As i just mention above. i have just installed fresh ML. so there is nothing on my Desktop...

what are these permissions? how could i repair those ?

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Hu,,,. i just checked..and i only have one SSD, and its selected by default as startup disk.

Is there any other fine tune to be done with SSD?

Thanks.

----------

Thanks..
As i just mention above. i have just installed fresh ML. so there is nothing on my Desktop...

what are these permissions? how could i repair those ?
Open disk utility (either through applications or just searching spotlight) and click the partition that OS X is on, then click repair permissions and let it do it's thing.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
It's not in your optical bay by any chance is it?
Hi,
I repaired Disk permissons. i got few msg. about fixing the permissons ( About 8 to 10 ). but still the boot timming it 30 sec. no change...may be 1-2 seconds faster..

I put SDD , where it was HDD before, i still have DvD drive in it.

Though It shuts Down in 1 sec...

ANy idea ?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
my boot is about 16 seconds with a Samsung 830 SSD

But i just noticed you said you have a Link speed of 3gb so that is most likely the reason why it is 30 seconds. My Link Speed is 6gb. So that sounds normal to me

serb

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
even though there is only one disk (the SSD) in the startup disk tab of system preferences, click it anyways and press restart. It should fix it.

If not, try resetting the PRAM.

snoylekim

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Mid 2009 C2D 2.66 .. 256 Gig Samsung 830 ..Boot time is 19 seconds power switch to login screen .. was a bit slower until I explcitly (re)set startup to the new disk ( it was the only choice, but still greyed out) ..
Negotiated speed is SATA II ( 3 G) ..

So far so good w/ one week w a lot thrown at it ( for my secondary machine) ..no beachballs ,hesitation, KPs, etc..

This and upgrading the machine to 8 Gig of ram has extended the useful life for a few years, I suspect ..

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
huh, never timed it before.

14 seconds to login screen, about 6 seconds until the finder finishes loading (including some custom apps, ie crashplan, mailunreadmenu)...

am loving my ssd... :cool:

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Mine usually boots up to login in about 10 seconds with a Crucial M4 256 SSD.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
even though there is only one disk (the SSD) in the startup disk tab of system preferences, click it anyways and press restart. It should fix it.

If not, try resetting the PRAM.
Thanks..
i did select startup disk and restart, but it takes 30 secs. no matter what...
What is PRAM ? how do i reset it ?

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012

just wondering..

Any thoughts ??
This is a large part of your problem: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?96106-Macbook-users-with-1-5Gb-s-link-instead-of-3Gb-s-link

Do that fix and it will help quite a bit.

The Vertex3 uses a Sandforce chipset that doesn't always play nice with the nVidia chipset in the C2D-era MacBook Pros.

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
7 secs to log in screen!

1 sec to close down!

WOW I never timed it before. :cool:

13 inch 2.4 MBP 2011 256 gig 830. :D

imladris

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
MacBook 2007, C2D 2.0 GHz, 3 GB, Intel 320 160GB SSD, OS X Lion: 26 seconds from pushing the on button to loaded desktop. Interestingly enough, when I bought the computer, it booted Tiger in 25 seconds (before adding services and stuff) from its 80 GB hard drive. I would guess that Lion does quite a bit more during boot than Tiger did.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Mine takes 11 seconds, and this is with my iMac booting from SSD through a thunderbolt enclosure.

igiboi

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
mines 18 secs from ding to open safari from fresh start up. using corsair force 3 120gb on a 13" mbp mid 2012. fyi its a 80$ ssd, got it from frys on sale.

Last edited: