How faster is this iMac to my MBP?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thealpha1, Jul 7, 2016.

1. thealpha1 macrumors member

Hi all.

I am wanting to upgrade my 2011, 17" MBP to a 27" iMac - could anyone please tell me how much faster this machine is compared to the one I have? and is the graphics card much better in the newer machine? as I'd like to hopefully play World of Warcraft and Second Life with no lag.. lol.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/imac

Thanks!

2. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

You just linked to a page with all the iMacs.

There's no way for us to tell which config you are referring to.

3. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry! the entry model 27"

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It will be not that much better purely CPU wise however better graphics faster ram etc will be big bonus. I will say though that to feel that performance, you will want a fusion drive or a SSD option not the basic system with a spinning hard drive.

I honestly can't recommend anyone buy a computer without some sort of flash storage, it's such a bottleneck just using a spinning hard drive.

5. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

So you would recommend paying £99 more for the flash option?

6. Samuelsan2001, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes or the 2TB fusion option, unfortunately the 1 TB fusion only has 24gb of flash as a cache it will speed things up a bit but it's not great (better than nothing though) the 2 TB fusion is 128gb flash plus a 2 TB hard drive.

If you decide to go just pure flash storage 256gb and store your media files on an external that can work really well too with the fastest speeds for your OS and you apps.

Flash storage is up to 20 times faster than a normal HDD, it makes a big difference to user experience.

7. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

^^ As Samuelsan2001 said, definitely purchase it with some sort of flash storage. It really does make all the difference in the world.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get the SSD, especially over the 1TB Fusion drive, which only has 24 GB of flash storage. At least the 2TB Fusion drive contains 128GB of flash storage and that's better but if you can swing it. The SSD is the way to go

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If you are buying a Mac solely for gaming, you really should consider upgrading to the R390M, og at least wait for the next iMac upgrade..

10. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

I won't be using it for gaming, its mainly for general use and movie editing ☺️

Going to consider the SSD thanks all

11. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

The SSD is in a way, a prerequisite. Apple includes it as an 'option', but I would say don't fall for it.

The OS isn't even designed to run on a spinning disk anymore. The MacBook lineup has long since done away with HDDs.

The way the current OS X operates on an HDD is nothing short of disgraceful.