How Feasable is using the ipad 3g as a phone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Axl Rose, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Axl Rose macrumors regular

Via skype...and then just dumping your smart phone...i mean you can connect via bluetooth head set, for the rare times i do talk, i mainly text, and there are apps for that

anyone else doing this?or thinking about it

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Seems a bit OTT really, the iPads size makes it awkward to carry around as a phone.

I'm not saying it's not possible, just it's not exactly practical either.

3. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

It can be done, With the right lateral thinking. Have a look at this HERE

[​IMG]

4. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I would be concerned about not getting 3g coverage when I need it and trying to do skype on edge or gprs.

5. NotTempted macrumors member

I was thinking voip since Apple is now allowing it for the iPhone and presumably the iPad and then just use a bt headset. The only problem was the size of the device. You might be able to do that and have a pre-paid backup cell phone but it seems to much trouble. .02

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

I wouldn't want to carry my iPad around everywhere to use as a phone. Seems like overkill to me. iPhone is without a doubt the best cell phone to buy. iPad is not a cell phone. LOL! But good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how it works out.

7. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

The iPad is too big to use as a phone. It's not practical. To me it makes sense as an alternative to a laptop, not to a phone.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I think they should add phone capabilities to the MacBook.

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Is this a joke?

Do you routinely hold a dinner plate up to your ear?

10. newyorksole macrumors 68030

lmfao.

but in all seriousness, what's with you people wanting to use this thing as a phone? smh.

11. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

How about a bluetooth headset, or the plugin headphones with a mic?

12. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Disregarding the fact the ipad is way too big to be used as a real portable phone that you can carry around where ever you go, it still would not make a good phone for other reasons.

The biggest seems to be the fact that even using skype, you won't be able to receive calls effectively. I like having a phone number and then having someone call me and I pick up. You couldn't do that with just skype.

Also, what about text messaging? I know there are free apps to do it, but its just so much easier to have an actual phone with a set phone number that you can text from and people can easily text you back.

All these solutions for using any device that is not connected to an actual phone number on a real service are just workarounds that I think make for a very poor user experience.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to say this.

So for your only phone, are you going to be limited to something larger than a book and that can't be used without headphones or a BT headset handy?

Or are you going to remove the SIM card constantly in put it in an actual "phone" too?

This whole concept is silly.

If you want to add some VOIP and use it around the house with accessories, sure, but using it as a phone all the time is just crazy. It's an entertainment and light work use device guys...not a phone.

They make something you might be interested in called the "iPhone".

14. oneeach macrumors member

One less device to carry. Currently I have a simple cell phone on my belt and an iPod Touch in my pocket. The iPad would be nice to replace pad-and-pencil for meeting notes as well as a larger screen for web surfing and such but I don't plan on taking it everywhere (that's what the Touch is for).

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Once again.

Are you aware that the iPad is not going to be fitting in your pocket?

So when you aren't carrying a notepad around all day, will you swap out the SIM to your "phone on your belt"? Or have 2 phones?

The iPad *could work as a phone* in some use cases, but don't we all want our phones to be useful as a phone in *all situations*?

A phone is sort of important, no?

How about when your iPad gets dropped and breaks. Major bummer that your phone is tits up too, no?

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not everyone needs a phone 24/7. You are kind of contradicting yourself, because in some use cases, people only need a phone to work in *some* situations, not all.

17. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I'm not contradicting myself at all my friend.

I'm saying that you could use the iPad as some form of "phone" as a VOIP device at home perhaps. (none of which I want)...but my point is that most people have only 1 cell phone.

If you have 1 phone, it needs to be pocketable, very portable, usable without a headset or headphones...none of which fits the description of the iPad.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yeah. I wouldn't get the iPad just to use it as a phone. But if you do get the iPad for its many other functions, and your needs for cell phone usage is very light, then you could conceivably have your iPad double up as your cell phone. For instance, I only need a cell phone a few times a month, so it's not economical for me to buy a cell phone plus pay for a cell phone plan. The iPad with a 3G plan would serve all my cell phone needs. Sure, it's a bit bulky and awkward as a phone, and I need a headset to use it as a phone, but that's ok since I use it as a phone so infrequently.

19. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I wasn't pushing this as a replacement for an iPhone (or any cell phone where portability is of prime importance), just pointing out that you wouldn't have to hold it up to your face to use it as a phone. With the right equipment, I could see this being an awesome addition to a home phone system.

20. FlashHead macrumors regular

I'm with the OP.

What some people can't seem to quite wrap their heads around is that some people don't use their cell phones all that much. Notice he said "RARE times I do talk". Personally, I don't actually talk on my phone more than about 3 times a month. And, I particularly don't to be bothered by people calling on my phone. I think only three people in the world even have that number, and they know it's usually sitting plugged in at home. However, I do carry my iPod Touch with me all the time and I will have my iPad in possession from the time I leave my house until the time I get home from work.

I would prefer my iPod touch had 3G, then I would use Skype exclusively, using an e-mail push notification to my mail account telling me if I had a message, at which point I would return the call. This is 100% how I operate when I'm out of the country and is almost the exclusive way I use my cell when I'm home - and wouldn't mind making that a permanent situation). So, in lieu of getting 3G on my touch, the iPad will fill in some gaps.

So, as to the OP, not only will the iPad give me more access (3G), since I don't have a smartphone, but I may very well just get rid of my dumb phone as well. I have a Skype-In number, so the ability to answer when I'm expecting an important call, get an e-mail push notification that I've gotten a message when I'm not expecting a call, and most importantly, the ability to place a call whenever I want will take care of ALL my daily needs.

21. Axl Rose thread starter macrumors regular

yup i rarely use my phone function anymore..except texting but there are about 2000 apps for that anyways...

edit, ill probably wait till see if anyone else does this too and too see how feasible it is.

22. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I can just picture people walking around with a 9.56" X 7.XX" iPad next to their ears :D

23. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Bluetooth headphones + good iPad sling, you could get away with VOIP w/ Skype, but don't you need the other person to be on Skype to call them?

24. psywzrd macrumors 68030

No - the other person does not need to be on Skype to call them. Skype to Skype calls are free but you can call anyone as long as you have a plan (I was on the unlimited US and Canada when I was using Skype but there are international plans as well). I stopped using Skype though because the quality over 3G was awful for me on my jb iphone. Also, I wasn't able to use Skype with the bluetooth speaker in my car so it was useless to me when I really needed it. I don't know why they haven't gotten Skype to work over BT but it's a huge problem.

25. jpprice macrumors newbie

Just for info you can get a telephone number that can be dialed from any phone in the world from Skype.

http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/onlinenumber/

So one could with a headset make and receive calls with an iPad via WiFi with a good quality connection. It would also work via 3G but the quality is iffy.