how flush is your macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LondonGooner, May 31, 2007.

1. LondonGooner macrumors regular

when i first got my macbook i noticed that when it was shut, the top and the bottom were not exactly flush...what i mean is that they didnt line up properly. i.e. the top right bit stuck out a few milimetres, and the top left top was in a few mm.

It was never a big deal to me & its hardly noticable (had my macbook nearly a year, so really dont care about it). But what im wondering is how common is this? Am i a rare case??

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Not rare at all i had 2 that were not fluch

3. hidehide macrumors 6502

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. oscuh macrumors 6502

6. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I'm in the same boat... first time I closed my MBP after I got it, I noticed it wasn't quite closing flush. Also my C key kept popping up in the corner, got that fixed though :p .

7. riotshield macrumors member

I think it may normal (to prevent the keys from pressing against the screen)

8. operator macrumors regular

Mine is perfectly flush. So are all other MB's I've used. It's one of my favorite things about the design. My iBook was NOT flush, and looked like it was smiling when closed.

9. AdamL macrumors member

Haha. I was just in that thread before I came to this one. I thought of the same thing. But yeah, my MBP isn't perfectly flush, but it's not big deal. It still works.:)

Adam

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The magnets that hold the lid are not electromagnetic (as far as I can tell). They are also center mounted. So, over an expand of 15 3/8" (17" MBP), it is probable that the cover might not sit perfectly flush. Who cares? It is suppose to hold the top down. It has not bearing whether the top is flat.

For drill, I tried closing my MBP from various pressure angles. It can close perfectly flush, or slightly (1/32") different, side-to-side.

11. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

The problem is that the non-flush edges can catch on other objects... which opens the MacBook... which wakes it. In the first CD MB's, the ones with terrible cooling problems, this would occasionally cause all sorts of fun problems. If your MB opens while in your backpack, for instance, it might overheat.

Cosmetic flaw => Toasted Machine.

12. unixfool macrumors 6502a

YMMV, as I've non-flush edges (they aren't all that skewed)....no problems here and I've owned mine for over a year. I also keep the macbook in a small luggage case that I can either caddy or carry on my shoulder...the macbook is usually strapped in with velcro, so I know its not going to be jarred or levered open.

For those of you who are worried about this, you may want to invest in a REAL case (ie, not a backpack where you also throw your books).

13. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Same I think this started with C2D MBPs. I had a CD and it was perfectly lined up. When I got my C2D I noticed it wasn't perfectly lined up.