Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Am in the process of replacing the 5000gb drive on my mini to a 1tb.

I've seen the video on YouTube on how to do it but once installed how do I format it and to what format ?

Will I be able to get to disk utility to do it ?

I want to do it the most simplest way then install ML.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
If you have an external enclosure you can put either of the drives in there and clone the 500GB to the 1TB.
otherwise you can install the 1TB drive into the mini and use Internet Recovery - Command-R at start-up to format the drive and install OS X from Apple online.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
If you have an external enclosure you can put either of the drives in there and clone the 500GB to the 1TB.
otherwise you can install the 1TB drive into the mini and use Internet Recovery - Command-R at start-up to format the drive and install OS X from Apple online.

I have a external enclosure laying around somewhere.

So if i put my 1TB in the enclousre and use carbon copy cloner, Will it create an exact copy of my main drive onto the 1tb including settings/passwords etc ?

Then just a matter of putting that 1tb in the mini and all set to go ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a external enclosure laying around somewhere.

So if i put my 1TB in the enclousre and use carbon copy cloner, Will it create an exact copy of my main drive onto the 1tb including settings/passwords etc ?

Then just a matter of putting that 1tb in the mini and all set to go ?
Yes. Here's a simple approach:
  1. Put your old drive in an external enclosure.
  2. Install your new drive in your Mac.
  3. Boot from your old (external) drive by holding the Option key on startup.
  4. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old (external) drive to the new (internal) drive.
  5. Boot from the new internal drive.
  6. Your now running on your new internal drive and your old drive is now an external drive, useful for backups or additional storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.