How Freescale made better Tablet cheaper?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by amitdoc2b, Jan 27, 2010.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I don't want the Freescale Tablet.. but how did they make it only $200 and have many more features than Apple's iPad?

The FreeScale one comes with:
    12-hour battery life
    Same processor speed
    Same hard drive space
    Built-in webcam!!!!!
    Adobe Flash Support
    USB Ports
    Bluetooth
    Runs full OS, not stripped down iPhone OS

How did they do this so cheap and Apple's doesn't even have a webcam??

Here is the link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/1857...blet_for_everyone_and_its_not_from_apple.html

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Edit: Im a dumbass, I actually like that approach, not so in love with the hardware

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People have been making cheaper computers for years. In fact apple products have the reputation of paying the "apple tax", i.e., more expensive.

The question is, whether having a desktop OS benefit a tablet computer. Apple has decided that it doesn't. There's some logic to that decision, though I personally disagree with that.

The more I look at it, the more, I watch the keynote, and the more I ponder the usage, I see that it may have a demographic that wants the device. Whether that demographic is enough to make it a profitable device is anyone's guess.

4. paddad64 macrumors newbie

Another question...Why is Kindle so expensive?

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I could have accepted the iPad with all its flaws if they just added a webcam. I had my credit card ready on my desk for pre-order today in case they had offered it. I would have bought the best model they had. I'm very disappointed they said it should compete with a netbook in the keynote and didn't even add a webcam.

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

It comes with a full OS installed for $200? What OS is that?