how future proof are the new iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applefiend95, Oct 25, 2012.

1. applefiend95 macrumors regular

I will soon be getting the base 27" iMac when it is available in December. I will also be upgrading to either 12 or 16 GB of ram. having said that, i will be using my mac for adobe photoshop, illustrator, indesign, dreamweaver, fireworks, and some other flash based products from adobe. along with all this media work, i will also be using my mac for general web browsing, social networking, school work (undergrad and medschool). based on what i will use my mac for, how future is the base 27" model? should i upgrade the HDD or just buy an external drive (1-3TB) and store the important stuff there? also, the ODD is of no importance to me. car has stereo which has the aux cable thingy... and i dont watch movies on my computer (renting from itunes is a diff story), i dont produce DVDs for projects, post them online...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say that the current models will suit your needs for the next couple of years so the newer faster models will be that much better suited for the tasks.

3. frag2 macrumors member

Id say the 1999$ as is is probably the best value. It's got the insane screen, user accessible RAM and 1gb of Vid Ram. That's what I'm picking up. Was thinking the top of line 21.5 but noticed 512 vid memory and non user accessible ram was disappointing.

frankly, the refresh as a whole was rather underwhelming but IMO, if i was to pick one [which i do since i need to replace circa 08 macbook], id get the 1999$ imac

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If Mountain Lion is any indication, they're going to cut you off based on the year, not the capability of your machine. So it won't matter how powerful or weak it is in terms of upgrading to the latest OS.

5. tuccillo macrumors member

It will have the same lifespan as the May2011 models - there is no substantial difference - you can buy a refurbished 2011 and spend the saving on other stuff.