How future proof current MacPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Muscle, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Muscle macrumors regular

So how future proof is the mac pro? What components are user upgradable? From what I understand the Ram, SSD HD, even the CPU is self-upgradable? What about the GPU?

Can you just buy the cheapest model and then upgrade everything else yourself?

2. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

RAM, SSD, and CPU are all upgradeable. GPU ...maybe if Apple releases new ones for the next gen version that will work with the current model. Most likely not, though.

MacVidCard has got eGPU running through Thunderbolt 2, which means you can install Nvidia GPUs through an external enclosure. The only caveat is that it works only on OS X right now. Maybe he and Netkas will get it running with Windows at some point, but who knows?

3. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

So GPU is the only thing thats not self upgradable? You can't purchase the AMD D700 by yourself and plug it in?

4. agazoo macrumors regular

agazoo

If only you could find one; eBay is probably the only source atm (this is where i got mine from).

5. williamh macrumors regular

You can purchase the thunderbolt to PCIe box for graphic cards.

6. DJenkins macrumors 6502

DJenkins

You are somewhat right in saying that you can buy a base model and upgrade to the higher end specs... however I wouldn't call this 'future proof' as I highly doubt any newer updates to the mac pro will be interchangeable with the old model. You will just have a higher spec version of the old machine, probably not able to compete with a higher spec of the new machine

7. filmak macrumors 6502a

No. Not a single chance. It's not available anywhere it's Apple's proprietary design, not sold separately.

8. filmak macrumors 6502a

Very surprised you found one, glad for you, I thought they were they were locked pretty well in Apple's locker, was it a simple swap?

9. agazoo macrumors regular

agazoo

I didn't to swap yet. Cards are in my office in US and I am out in Europe. Will know next week, and hopefully put my D500s out for sale.

10. filmak macrumors 6502a

11. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

In particular, no newer, faster CPUs or RAM will be available. You can replace the CPU with one of the current options (e.g. move from six core to eight core), but no new CPUs will be released.

12. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

13. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

RAM is upgradable.

CPU is upgradable, within the limitations of the Intel socket and your nMP's firmware. I personally wouldn't try a CPU upgrade unless someone else already proved that specific CPU works in the same nMP model.

SSD is upgradable, but it does not use a standard interface. You'll have to buy the appropriate used SSDs or new grey market SSDs through third party markets like Ebay or Amazon Marketplace with no warranty support.

GPU is technically upgradable, but practically speaking, it is not. Only grey market boards are available, and only rarely, and for very high prices, and only up to D700. The nMP keeps its GPU firmware on the main board, not the video cards. So unless we see a firmware update to the nMP, there will never be anything better than the D700 in those slots.

14. filmak macrumors 6502a

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

You might want to look up the definition of that word. The design is definitely not proprietary. Just because no one has chosen to make the video cards in no way makes it proprietary. There is the whole firmware issue but even then that still does not make the cards proprietary.

16. mikeboss, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015

mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

by the definition of the IT industry, the graphics cards of the Mac Pro (Late 2013) are definitely proprietary, period.

17. xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

If you're thinking of upgrading you might want to wait until the end of the year when sky lake is released. Also I would double check about the CPU (someone can/will correct me, I'm sure) I thought there was an issue with the socket allowing for future upgrades. GPU of course is dead in the water until Apple does something which is to say likely dead altogether.

18. flr macrumors member

A Thunderbolt 2 eGPU is a very expensive solution. It costs about $500 for the components only without even a videocard. It involves a lot of work to build it yourself. Check out the TechInferno forums if you want to know more. My eGPU works only under Windows but depending on which videocard you select it can also work under Mac OS X. Getting an eGPU to work under Mac OS X is a lot more difficult than for Windows.

19. filmak macrumors 6502a

:) It's their practice, their policy.

If you check the Gpu's form factor, the special design to fit in, the way they are cooled down, the special connectors,
    the fact that the one of them has the ssd's pcie connector built in (and this is not the industry standard connector), the firmware prototyping method, the drivers, the special way they connect with displays and they compute, etc.

It is clear that Apple did it's best for one more time to lock down the internals as much as they could, for their reasons (technical and economical), as they prefer to buy a whole new device from them than upgrade your current one.

You can see this in every current device they sell iOS or OS X based, everything are soldered in, batteries, ram, gpus, screens (glued) and pretty difficult for a user to reach them, they have also made custom screws to discourage people from opening their devices.

So imho the gpus have not industry standard design, they are locked with several methods to discourage third party manufacturers to built something compatible, the gpus firmware is outside of the cards, they 're completely custom made and locked -> proprietary.;)
    Have a nice day.:)

20. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

To build an eGPU involves some work. It makes no difference if it's for Windows or OS X.

Getting an eGPU to work under OS X is easy: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/building-external-gpus-on-mac-egpu.1893792/

21. xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

Why do I have the feeling that the desks of nMP users look like the corpse of frankenstein...

22. brand, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015