How future proof is the 13" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GeeSixx, Oct 24, 2012.

1. GeeSixx macrumors regular

GeeSixx

Specifically the June 2012 Base model. Should I buy new at full price or refurbished?

By future proof, I mean do you think it will be able to run the next OSX version well?

Thanks for any help.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It should be able to run the next three versions, at least, if history is any guide. You can upgrade the RAM and disk drive yourself, and even replace the optical drive with a second disk drive or SSD. Lots of room for expansion to keep up.

Buy refurbished. And if you have a Discover card, you can get an additional 5% discount.

3. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

My old Macbook lasted me 6 years and was able to have software up Lion.

So that was (correct if wrong)
    - Tiger
    - Leopard
    - SL
    - Lion

4. TheRdungeon, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

5. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

There's no question it'll run the next version of OS X just fine. And it'll be quite capable of handling the next release and probably the one after that. I have four Macs in regular use at the moment - a 6 year old MBP running 10.7 (Lion), a 5 year old Mac Mini also running 10.7, and my 2009 MBP and 2012 rMBP both running 10.8. I've no complaints with the OS support.

Regarding refurb, I've heard more good experiences than bad. I've purchased two refurbs myself (an iMac and the afore-mentioned Mac Mini) which I've not been able to tell from new. Very pleased with both.

6. GeeSixx thread starter macrumors regular

GeeSixx

Awesome thanks everyone. Is it agreed to go refurbished? This will be my first MacBook Pro so I'm tempted to buy new.

7. procrastinasn macrumors regular

Also with this, I think Mountain Lion only works with 64-bit machines..
    So I'm guessing there's no other constraints I can see in the next years.