Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
I went from the 5, 6+, to the 6s+

Was thinking about upgrading again annually, but was thinking it might be a waste of money especially since I got the 128gb and resale value isn't that much better for larger storage capacity etc

You guys think the 6s+ is good until the 7s comes out? Or even the iPhone 8? So three year total life

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
2 years future proof at least, as you take care of your 128GB iPhone 6s Plus well. This means you can use it till iOS 11 without worrying about missing too many features. And historically speaking, "s" iteration has longer lifecycle than non "s" iteration.

Side note: I also use 128GB iPhone 6s Plus model.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015

Was thinking about upgrading again annually, but was thinking it might be a waste of money especially since I got the 128gb and resale value isn't that much better for larger storage capacity etc

You guys think the 6s+ is good until the 7s comes out? Or even the iPhone 8? So three year total life
You are right it will atleast last tor 3 years until the system becomes laggy and many new features missing comparing to the newest models. On the hardware side your battery may give up in these years (and it all depends on the mantaince and usage)

Reactions: IronH4WK

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
3 years, tops..

Only because almost every iPhone gets slow after its third birthday from its release thanks to the latest iOS being built from newer hardware and omitting ones for older devices. And you are forced to update iOS to use apps.

Although if you aren't into software updates and a minimalist at app usage, it can technically last as long you want to as long as you can tolerate some minor lag, no manual TRIM support which means mandatory reset and restore, and replacing it with a new battery.

I expect to use iPhone 7 for nearly FOUR years thanks to removing the clunky physical home button which starts to get stuck it or damaged after 18 months or so. Although I expect it to get slower by 2019 once iOS13 arrives.

john_carizma

Suspended
Jul 8, 2016
3 years at least , in your condition you can use it till iOS 11 without worrying about missing too many features

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I generally keep my iPhone's for around three years with no real issue. I had an original from 2007-2010, a 3GS from 2010-2012, and a 5 from 2012 until a few weeks ago when I got an SE. Generally whenever they double the RAM in an iPhone you can expect a solid, long life out of it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
What does "future proof" even mean? What do you mean is it "good" until the 7s comes out? That's entirely subjective. I know people still using an iPhone 4 or 4s. If you ask them why they don't upgrade they'll look at you and say, "why? It still works."

Only you know when a phone is no longer good enough for you.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
as long as you ignore all what iOS 10,11,12 will bring in terms of features and slowness you are safe...

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Easily two years. Many people are still rolling around with iPhone 4S and such. I don't notice too much difference between the minor S version updates. The little upgrades for software is also so incremental you aren't likely to notice them much until a few years go by. This may be different if you constantly play with your phone all day though.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Considering that it is the phone that 0S 10 made it's debut on Ui doubt it will be a problem.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Do what you want, I'm not going to let the constant iOS-updates ruin my 6S+ and slow it down like they did on my 3G and 4. I would like my last iPhone (ever? we'll see how to lack of headphone-port will be handled) to last as long as possible.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I prefer my SE for the size but I can't deny my 6S Plus is a powerhouse and physically tough and it's been very splash resistant and held up well in humid conditions. It hardly ever glitches. Actually I can't remember the last time it did. I can't complain about anything but the challenge of keeping it with me due to the size. The camera has been excellent for both video and stills but I think low light performance could use a bit of improvement so I'm waiting to see what the next model promises in that regard. If I didn't care about having the latest camera tech, heck yeah, I could get three years out of this model. Battery life is great. I've got the max storage size of 128 GB. Oh and call quality with AT&T has been really good. I've had surprisingly good sound through the speaker for music, too. Not great, but way better than I ever expected.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I prefer my SE for the size but I can't deny my 6S Plus is a powerhouse and physically tough and it's been very splash resistant and held up well in humid conditions. It hardly ever glitches. Actually I can't remember the last time it did. I can't complain about anything but the challenge of keeping it with me due to the size. The camera has been excellent for both video and stills but I think low light performance could use a bit of improvement so I'm waiting to see what the next model promises in that regard. If I didn't care about having the latest camera tech, heck yeah, I could get three years out of this model. Battery life is great. I've got the max storage size of 128 GB. Oh and call quality with AT&T has been really good. I've had surprisingly good sound through the speaker for music, too. Not great, but way better than I ever expected.
I agree with everything you said. Apple probably will support the 6s through iOS 14 lol. There is no such thing as real future proofing as new hardware and software always makes things better, faster, easier. But if you don't want to drop any more money on iPhones for a few more years the 6s should have good longevity.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

If you already have an "s" model I would hold off for the 2017 iPhone. As that will bring much larger changes (according to all rumours.) Unless something in the 7 announcement in the fall really intrigues you. Then it's just a case of your money, so why you want.

Personally I'm definitely getting the 7 because I have the 2014 6 model, so it will be a nice leap for me.

Reactions: bandofbrothers

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Good to know iOS10 will have "raise to wake" feature for iPhone 6s / 6s+. This Android app called Wakeup Touch Nexus does it for my Xiaomi although it is more cover the accelerometer for a second and the screen wakes up. Quite useful since it doesn't have double tap to wake but it doesn't seem to work for all my Androids.

So Apple is finally ditching the physical home button and copied Motorola Display from the original Moto X where you nudge it a little and it wakes up. I like where Apple is heading to. I could care less if Apple is copying Android and its OEMs. Everyone copies. That's how both evolve. By taking the best ideas and throwing away the bad ones.

These iPhone being released recently (2015 & beyond) should last even longer than before. If an iPhone 5 which has 1 GB RAM can be smooth on iOS9, then these newer iPhones with their 2 GB RAM can go beyond that. Forget 3 years tops I mentioned earlier. Maybe 4-5 years now. Add water-resistant for iPhone 7 to make it more robust.

images

Reactions: 5105973

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I kept my 4s for 3 years, and upgraded to the 6. So far I'm not seeing any compelling reason to upgrade, but I am due for a phone subsidy later this year, so if Apple surprises with the iPhone 7 I may be tempted. More likely I'll wait for the 2017 iPhone.

My friend is still using my old 4s, and although it is a bit slow, it still works well, so I see no reason why you couldn't get 3 years out of your 6s+, if you want to.

Reactions: 5105973

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you don't "upgrade" the OS, the phone will keep its speed. New OS's slowly kill older phones. Make them unbearably slow.

Software drives hardware. All future OSs will do more and require more from the hardware. The old gear can't keep up.

Reactions: entropi

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Upgrade at each new iPhone release, enjoy the best Apple has to offer and you'll never waste time worrying about future proofing.

If you can't afford that practice, focus on the fact that an older iPhone still performs the tasks that you bought it for.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you don't "upgrade" the OS, the phone will keep its speed. New OS's slowly kill older phones. Make them unbearably slow.

Software drives hardware. All future OSs will do more and require more from the hardware. The old gear can't keep up.
I'm running iOS 9.3.3 b5 on my iPad 2, circa 2011. Perfectly acceptable and better than iOS 8.

Reactions: maxsix

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
If you are a smartphone fanatic, than you need one every year to be happy

If you moderately financially solvent, than every 2 years

If you are just looking for a good phone to call, email, text, weather, and some camera use, than you can keep it for many years.

Reactions: mtneer and scotttnz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.